Hyundai Car Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

2002 Hyundai Accent - Dash Light problems

 
Hummingbird1918@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-28-2006, 04:30 AM
The 2002 Hyundai Accent's dash lights do not work properly. In the
evenings when the headlights are turned on the dash lights may turn on
too; however, after an unspecified amount of time the dashlights will
turn off. This only affects the instrument panel behind the steering
wheel, which houses the speedometer, gas gauge, etc.

After a while the dash lights might turn back on. There is no specific
manner or activity which may trigger it to turn back on. For instance,
on night, I was going on a trip to the neighboring city (about 60 miles
away), I started the vehicle and turned on the lights. As I was
starting to pull out of the garage the dash lights turned off. I
continued to drive and after about 5 minutes they turned back on for
about 30 seconds (if that). I got on the highway and continued my
trip...during this drive time (about 50 miles) the dash lights would
turn on and off intermittingly. I thought I would "test" the problem. I
would accelerate and most of the time there was no change, then I would
brake, and most of the time there was no change either. Even when drive
over rough patches in the road it still did not have an impact of the
problem. This dispelled my thoughts of a loose wire...am I wrong?

There is nothing wrong (does not affect) with the other lights in the
car, the headlights, brake lights, blinkers, and middle instrument
panel (clock, radio, a/c, etc.) when the dash lights go out.

I have taken the vehicle to dealer for service and they could not
duplicate the problem. I question their knowledge because I clearly
informed them the problem occurs at night and they were attempting to
duplicate in the daytime.

Are there others who have this similar type of problem? How can I get
this problem fixed? Am I talking "girl" to them in my explanation of
the problem, what might I say that can get this problem resolved?

By the way, their resolution to this is "...the car is 5 years old, you
should just get another one..."

Please help!!!!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
hyundaitech
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-28-2006, 11:27 PM
The loose wire is a possibility, but I wouldn't concentrate there.

Lets start with what we know. If the center dash illumination doesn't go
out, then we already know the rheostat (dimmer switch) is still working
properly.

I'd primarily suspect something with the cluster itself. In your cluster
is a device called an inverter. It connects to the background of each of
the gauges and illuminates them. (Don't ask me how it works. I don't
know. All the schematic shows me is a box that says "inverter" and some
wires running to it.) The inverter could be going bad; the screws that
connect it to the cluster circuit board could be loose; there could be an
intermittent open circuit in the circuit board itself; there could be a
bad connection in the cluster connector. Considering the circuit layout,
it's possible there could be a poor splice or bad wire to the cluster, but
that's *very* unlikely. If I had to guess, I'd surmise the inverter
itself.

But here's the problem. If you're still within the warranty period,
Hyundai requires dealers to duplicate the problem before making repairs.
The fact that the dealer tested your car during the daytime is irrelevant.
They can still operate the lamps and see if they're working. If you've
told them what you've told us here, I have no reason to suspect they
didn't check it and drive and so on a few times. Hyundai doesn't require
the dealer to duplicate in order to give customers a hard time, but rather
to avoid spending unnecessary money in repairs. Within the warranty
period, I'd ask my manager if he'd like me to put in an inverter. And
then it's between him and Hyundai. Whatever they want is what I'll wind
up doing. (It is Hyundai's money, after all).

If you'd be paying for repairs, you'll need to consider how willing you
are to pay for a repair based on a guess. As long as the lamps are
working, the shop will be unable to conclusively diagnose the issue. Will
you be unhappy with the dealer if you spend your money on the guess and the
problem isn't fixed? If so, then you should wait until they can diagnose
the problem while it's occurring.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
victorlazlo@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-18-2006, 05:01 PM
I have this exact same problem with this exact same vehicle. I don't
think it has a lose wire, because going over a bump never generates a
reaction from the light... it just goes on and off at random. I have
not tried to get Hyundai to fix this yet, because as you say, it is
difficult for them to duplicate. The status of the light is impossible
to determine visually during the daytime.

Sorry I don't have a solution for you, but at least you are not alone!

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> The 2002 Hyundai Accent's dash lights do not work properly. In the
> evenings when the headlights are turned on the dash lights may turn on
> too; however, after an unspecified amount of time the dashlights will
> turn off. This only affects the instrument panel behind the steering
> wheel, which houses the speedometer, gas gauge, etc.
>
> After a while the dash lights might turn back on. There is no specific
> manner or activity which may trigger it to turn back on. For instance,
> on night, I was going on a trip to the neighboring city (about 60 miles
> away), I started the vehicle and turned on the lights. As I was
> starting to pull out of the garage the dash lights turned off. I
> continued to drive and after about 5 minutes they turned back on for
> about 30 seconds (if that). I got on the highway and continued my
> trip...during this drive time (about 50 miles) the dash lights would
> turn on and off intermittingly. I thought I would "test" the problem. I
> would accelerate and most of the time there was no change, then I would
> brake, and most of the time there was no change either. Even when drive
> over rough patches in the road it still did not have an impact of the
> problem. This dispelled my thoughts of a loose wire...am I wrong?
>
> There is nothing wrong (does not affect) with the other lights in the
> car, the headlights, brake lights, blinkers, and middle instrument
> panel (clock, radio, a/c, etc.) when the dash lights go out.
>
> I have taken the vehicle to dealer for service and they could not
> duplicate the problem. I question their knowledge because I clearly
> informed them the problem occurs at night and they were attempting to
> duplicate in the daytime.
>
> Are there others who have this similar type of problem? How can I get
> this problem fixed? Am I talking "girl" to them in my explanation of
> the problem, what might I say that can get this problem resolved?
>
> By the way, their resolution to this is "...the car is 5 years old, you
> should just get another one..."
>
> Please help!!!!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai Accent 2002 manual transmission . Wiper problems MASON Hyundai Accent 2 01-29-2009 09:59 PM
2002 Santa fe with dash vent cover slowly melting steve Hyundai Santa Fe 4 11-30-2005 05:10 PM
ABS and TCS dash lights on 2002 Santa Fe stay lit Richard Hyundai Santa Fe 1 11-15-2005 05:41 PM
"Door open" light and "air bag" light on, on the Dash. Grim General Motoring 5 10-29-2005 11:42 AM
replacing behind the dash light bulbs Greg Zook General Motoring 2 02-13-2004 12:50 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:42 PM.