Hyundai Car Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

2003 Elantra - freaky loss of power - hesitation, then normal

 
cutlassmoon@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2007, 02:22 AM
Last weekend I took my wife and 3 month old baby about an hour's drive
from home (by interstate) to meet friends at a restaurant. When we
pull off the interstate I hear a vibration and hear a noise from the
car, but think little of it.
We stop at a stop light at the interstate off-ramp. When the light
turns green I can tell the car isn't responding normally to a
acceleration - there is hesitation and the vehicle is jerking.

The car is jerking and loosing power so quickly that I turn onto a
side street to get off the main road.
The car maintains a rough idle, so I get out and try to identify where
what is going on.
There is definitely a humming sound coming from near the muffler -
possibly in the fuel tank.
We're like 8 blocks from the restaurant, so I tell my wife I'm going
to try and 'make it' so we can at least get some help from our
friends.
By the time we get to the restaurant, the car will idle, but totally
bogs down and acts as if it will die if I give any pressure to the gas
pedal.... we made it, but immediately call the Hyundai hotline to let
them know we need assistance.

I didn't try to drive it home for fear we would get stuck on a hot
night with my 3 month old - somewhere on the interstate.

It may part of the issue - so I'll mention that we were down to about
an 1/8 tank of gas, but no 'low fuel' light yet.

Hyundai had it towed to the dealer (1 hour away from my home - gee
thanks).
4 days later the Hyundai tech says there are no codes found in my cars
computer and two people test drove it just fine! Yet my wife and I
both can attest that there was a problem - and it surely didn't just
magically fix itself.... or did it?

We're scared to try and drive it home, but the dealership says there's
nothing wrong with it.

I guess we'll have to just see what happens.

Researching on-line I understand it could be bad gas, bad sensors,
possibly air bubbles forming around the fuel pump after driving
several miles non-stop (vibration creates gas air bubbles which may be
sucked into the fuel pump causing the issues).

But there was definitely a hum coming from the "bleeping" gas tank...
Any advise for convincing the dealer to replace the fuel pump - even
if the computer didn't register a trouble code?

Thanks, ~ Cutlass

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Edwin Pawlowski
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2007, 02:59 AM

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> But there was definitely a hum coming from the "bleeping" gas tank...
> Any advise for convincing the dealer to replace the fuel pump - even
> if the computer didn't register a trouble code?
>
> Thanks, ~ Cutlass
>


If your gas tank hums, you should enter your car on Americas Got Talent.

Could that hum be a vent or gas cap leaking? If it is not vented properly,
it can restrict the flow of gas. It can also be temporary and neutralize
once the car is turned off, thus the ability to run normally afterwards.
Chances are, taking the cap off and putting it back on may have cured it;
and stopped the humming.

I can't think of a single reason to replace the fuel pump. I'd replace the
cap though, just in case. Could be other parts of the system but I'm not
totally familiar with the canister etc. so lat the pro's chime in on that
part.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steve R.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2007, 03:15 AM
Just my dos centavos;

Similarly something happened to me. Picked up a full tank of fuel in New
Orleans at an Amoco, made it 10 miles down the road.

Pump (mechanical) and filter full of "stuff". The pump somehow got a piece
of debris lodged in the suction side in the check valve.

Maybe your "sock" got plugged? Might be worth a check to see what kind of
volume the pump's outputting...possible filter too?

Steve


<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Last weekend I took my wife and 3 month old baby about an hour's drive
> from home (by interstate) to meet friends at a restaurant. When we
> pull off the interstate I hear a vibration and hear a noise from the
> car, but think little of it.
> We stop at a stop light at the interstate off-ramp. When the light
> turns green I can tell the car isn't responding normally to a
> acceleration - there is hesitation and the vehicle is jerking.
>
> The car is jerking and loosing power so quickly that I turn onto a
> side street to get off the main road.
> The car maintains a rough idle, so I get out and try to identify where
> what is going on.
> There is definitely a humming sound coming from near the muffler -
> possibly in the fuel tank.
> We're like 8 blocks from the restaurant, so I tell my wife I'm going
> to try and 'make it' so we can at least get some help from our
> friends.
> By the time we get to the restaurant, the car will idle, but totally
> bogs down and acts as if it will die if I give any pressure to the gas
> pedal.... we made it, but immediately call the Hyundai hotline to let
> them know we need assistance.
>
> I didn't try to drive it home for fear we would get stuck on a hot
> night with my 3 month old - somewhere on the interstate.
>
> It may part of the issue - so I'll mention that we were down to about
> an 1/8 tank of gas, but no 'low fuel' light yet.
>
> Hyundai had it towed to the dealer (1 hour away from my home - gee
> thanks).
> 4 days later the Hyundai tech says there are no codes found in my cars
> computer and two people test drove it just fine! Yet my wife and I
> both can attest that there was a problem - and it surely didn't just
> magically fix itself.... or did it?
>
> We're scared to try and drive it home, but the dealership says there's
> nothing wrong with it.
>
> I guess we'll have to just see what happens.
>
> Researching on-line I understand it could be bad gas, bad sensors,
> possibly air bubbles forming around the fuel pump after driving
> several miles non-stop (vibration creates gas air bubbles which may be
> sucked into the fuel pump causing the issues).
>
> But there was definitely a hum coming from the "bleeping" gas tank...
> Any advise for convincing the dealer to replace the fuel pump - even
> if the computer didn't register a trouble code?
>
> Thanks, ~ Cutlass
>
>




 
Reply With Quote
 
Eric G.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2007, 10:25 AM
"Steve R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:5XXki.11855$(E-Mail Removed):

> Just my dos centavos;
>
> Similarly something happened to me. Picked up a full tank of fuel in
> New Orleans at an Amoco, made it 10 miles down the road.
>
> Pump (mechanical) and filter full of "stuff". The pump somehow got a
> piece of debris lodged in the suction side in the check valve.
>
> Maybe your "sock" got plugged? Might be worth a check to see what kind
> of volume the pump's outputting...possible filter too?
>
> Steve


This is what I was thinking too. A piece of dirt caught just right in the
fuel pump could cause the hum you heard. I had a similar experience too in
my F-150 a few years ago, although the sound was not a hum but more of a
clicking. After I shut off the truck I guess the dirt made its way out of
the pump and it never happened again.

Eric
 
Reply With Quote
 
hyundaitech
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2007, 04:26 PM
It's normal to hear a humming from the fuel tank while the fuel pump is
running, so your description doesn't necessarily point to a faulty fuel
pump.

The vibration and lack of power you report sounds like a misfire. Whether
caused by the fuel pump or some other cause, I'd expect one or more trouble
codes if that were indeed the case.

Here's the difficulty: the problem with your car could be just about
anywhere. Unless there's some sort of evidence of the nature of the
problem, replacing a fuel pump or any other part isn't terribly likely to
solve the issue. If the problem isn't present during testing and there
are no diagnostic trouble codes, the technician has nothing more to go on
than your description. In this case, there are so many possible causes
for the problem you describe, picking one to try isn't likely to be
fruitful.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Andy C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2007, 02:44 PM
If the catalytic converter took a hit and broke up inside it'll do what your
stating. Had it happen after my wife missed the edge of a driveway and
bounced down over the curb.When cool it would run ok....but after 30-45 min
it'll come back.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Last weekend I took my wife and 3 month old baby about an hour's drive
> from home (by interstate) to meet friends at a restaurant. When we
> pull off the interstate I hear a vibration and hear a noise from the
> car, but think little of it.
> We stop at a stop light at the interstate off-ramp. When the light
> turns green I can tell the car isn't responding normally to a
> acceleration - there is hesitation and the vehicle is jerking.
>
> The car is jerking and loosing power so quickly that I turn onto a
> side street to get off the main road.
> The car maintains a rough idle, so I get out and try to identify where
> what is going on.
> There is definitely a humming sound coming from near the muffler -
> possibly in the fuel tank.
> We're like 8 blocks from the restaurant, so I tell my wife I'm going
> to try and 'make it' so we can at least get some help from our
> friends.
> By the time we get to the restaurant, the car will idle, but totally
> bogs down and acts as if it will die if I give any pressure to the gas
> pedal.... we made it, but immediately call the Hyundai hotline to let
> them know we need assistance.
>
> I didn't try to drive it home for fear we would get stuck on a hot
> night with my 3 month old - somewhere on the interstate.
>
> It may part of the issue - so I'll mention that we were down to about
> an 1/8 tank of gas, but no 'low fuel' light yet.
>
> Hyundai had it towed to the dealer (1 hour away from my home - gee
> thanks).
> 4 days later the Hyundai tech says there are no codes found in my cars
> computer and two people test drove it just fine! Yet my wife and I
> both can attest that there was a problem - and it surely didn't just
> magically fix itself.... or did it?
>
> We're scared to try and drive it home, but the dealership says there's
> nothing wrong with it.
>
> I guess we'll have to just see what happens.
>
> Researching on-line I understand it could be bad gas, bad sensors,
> possibly air bubbles forming around the fuel pump after driving
> several miles non-stop (vibration creates gas air bubbles which may be
> sucked into the fuel pump causing the issues).
>
> But there was definitely a hum coming from the "bleeping" gas tank...
> Any advise for convincing the dealer to replace the fuel pump - even
> if the computer didn't register a trouble code?
>
> Thanks, ~ Cutlass
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
StoneMeThenBurnMe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2007, 07:17 PM
On Jul 10, 10:22 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Last weekend I took my wife and 3 month old baby about an hour's drive
> from home (by interstate) to meet friends at a restaurant. When we
> pull off the interstate I hear a vibration and hear a noise from the
> car, but think little of it.
> We stop at a stop light at the interstate off-ramp. When the light
> turns green I can tell the car isn't responding normally to a
> acceleration - there is hesitation and the vehicle is jerking.
>
> The car is jerking and loosing power so quickly that I turn onto a
> side street to get off the main road.
> The car maintains a rough idle, so I get out and try to identify where
> what is going on.
> There is definitely a humming sound coming from near the muffler -
> possibly in the fuel tank.
> We're like 8 blocks from the restaurant, so I tell my wife I'm going
> to try and 'make it' so we can at least get some help from our
> friends.
> By the time we get to the restaurant, the car will idle, but totally
> bogs down and acts as if it will die if I give any pressure to the gas
> pedal.... we made it, but immediately call the Hyundai hotline to let
> them know we need assistance.
>
> I didn't try to drive it home for fear we would get stuck on a hot
> night with my 3 month old - somewhere on the interstate.
>
> It may part of the issue - so I'll mention that we were down to about
> an 1/8 tank of gas, but no 'low fuel' light yet.
>
> Hyundai had it towed to the dealer (1 hour away from my home - gee
> thanks).
> 4 days later the Hyundai tech says there are no codes found in my cars
> computer and two people test drove it just fine! Yet my wife and I
> both can attest that there was a problem - and it surely didn't just
> magically fix itself.... or did it?
>
> We're scared to try and drive it home, but the dealership says there's
> nothing wrong with it.
>
> I guess we'll have to just see what happens.
>
> Researching on-line I understand it could be bad gas, bad sensors,
> possibly air bubbles forming around the fuel pump after driving
> several miles non-stop (vibration creates gas air bubbles which may be
> sucked into the fuel pump causing the issues).
>
> But there was definitely a hum coming from the "bleeping" gas tank...
> Any advise for convincing the dealer to replace the fuel pump - even
> if the computer didn't register a trouble code?
>
> Thanks, ~ Cutlass


-------------- I KNOW THE FEELIN' --------------

MINE WAS BATTERY TROUBLE ...

I HAVE A 2004 ELANTRA GLS, AND THE BATTERY IS almost impossible to
replace and service!

Hyundai DOESN'T want you even try to:

1) Check the fluid level in the cells.

2) Check the body and terminals for corrosion.

3) Remove the old battery and install a new one.

These tasks are almost impossible for the average motorist BECAUSE THE
BATTERY SITS IN AN ENCLOSED, SEALED CASE! You can't see much less
inspect the cell fluid levels. And half of the bolts under the hood
on the driver's side have to be removed to free-up the battery.

See, Hyundai wants you to go to a HYUNDAI DEALER, where a battery
costs $90, plus up to $50 more to install it. And at most Hyundai
dealers I know, you have to leave your car for an entire day -- then
hope it's ready when you return in the late afternoon or early
evening.

"Aw, we're sorry, but you see we got real busy and couldn't get to
yours. But tomorrow!"

AdvanceAuto Parts, AutoZone, Olympic Auto Parts, and Batteries Plus
sell the same battery for $52 to $69, some including free
installation.

Only problem? They can't get a sufficient supply of them to keep 'em
in stock!

And that's what your conniving, inscrutable Hyundai folks want -- to
force you to spend more on a new battery than a normal car owner would
expect. Parts companies list the Elantra batteries as "special." And
that they are!

Additionally, the OWNER'S MANUAL has neither a diagram or instructions
for accessing and servicing your Hyundai Elantra battery. Just a one-
paragraph entry that says, in effect, Be careful when servicing the
battery."

I've had my 2004 Elantra GLS for 3 years and the battery is already
shot. Needless to say, with problems also with the air bags, brakes,
power locks, and engine noise and vibration, I've bought my last
Hyundai product!

My advice to Hyundai? Hold up on building those factories in the
U.S. Too many one-time customers could make for sluggish, then
anemic, sales.

------------------------


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian Nystrom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2007, 04:35 PM
While it IS true that you cannot access the battery cells to check the
electrolyte level (something I don't like), there is NO problem
accessing or replacing the battery. Replacements are readily available
from a multitude of sources, including auto parts stores, Sears and
Walmart. How much more available could they be?

FWIW, my car was purchased in April '04 and the original battery is
still working fine after 65K+ miles.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chuck Whealton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2007, 01:55 AM
On Aug 15, 12:35 pm, Brian Nystrom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> While it IS true that you cannot access the battery cells to check the
> electrolyte level (something I don't like), there is NO problem
> accessing or replacing the battery. Replacements are readily available
> from a multitude of sources, including auto parts stores, Sears and
> Walmart. How much more available could they be?
>
> FWIW, my car was purchased in April '04 and the original battery is
> still working fine after 65K+ miles.


Brian:

You're very lucky. My battery in a 2000 Elantra died somewhere
between 40,000 - 50,000 miles. That was just the tip of the iceberg.


Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Yanik
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2007, 02:33 AM
Chuck Whealton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> On Aug 15, 12:35 pm, Brian Nystrom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> While it IS true that you cannot access the battery cells to check the
>> electrolyte level (something I don't like), there is NO problem
>> accessing or replacing the battery. Replacements are readily available
>> from a multitude of sources, including auto parts stores, Sears and
>> Walmart. How much more available could they be?
>>
>> FWIW, my car was purchased in April '04 and the original battery is
>> still working fine after 65K+ miles.

>
> Brian:
>
> You're very lucky. My battery in a 2000 Elantra died somewhere
> between 40,000 - 50,000 miles. That was just the tip of the iceberg.
>
>
> Charles R. Whealton
> Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com
>
>


Auto Batteries are not affected by mileage,it's years of service,ambient
temperature,and vibration that matters.Deep discharging them hastens
failure.Failing charging systems also hasten battery failure.(both over and
undercharging.)

AFAIK,after about 4 years,auto lead acid batteries become a risk for
failure.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sudden Loss of Power on Elantra paul Hyundai Elantra / Lantra 3 11-07-2007 10:50 PM
Sonata Hard Starts then Pings then No Problem ryanp37 Hyundai Sonata 1 08-13-2007 04:50 PM
Issues with 1992 Sonata V6 GLE 3.0L (Check Engine Light... Sudden Power Loss) WTC Computers Clearance Hyundai Sonata 2 03-13-2007 04:45 PM
New 01 Elantra power loss problem Mad E Moe Hyundai Elantra / Lantra 4 02-13-2007 11:58 PM
Question about the Power/Normal Switch Fred Deaton General Motoring 1 06-07-2004 11:18 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:01 AM.