Hyundai Car Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

2001 Elantra - check engine light

 
jan820
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2009, 01:54 AM
My daughter just bought a 2001 Elantra, automatic transmission 2 weeks
ago. The check engine light started coming on almost as soon as she
got it home. She would turn off the ignition, re-start it and the
light would go out. Now, she says it hesitates and will not
accelerate and the check engine light is on. Then it will sort of
surge and go into gear and drive normally. the check engine light
still goes off when she restarts the car. As far as I know, there is
no stalling or rough idling problem.
I am not certain if the CE light is related to the other problem, but
she seems to think so.
Any ideas?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Voyager
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2009, 02:58 AM
jan820 wrote:
> My daughter just bought a 2001 Elantra, automatic transmission 2 weeks
> ago. The check engine light started coming on almost as soon as she
> got it home. She would turn off the ignition, re-start it and the
> light would go out. Now, she says it hesitates and will not
> accelerate and the check engine light is on. Then it will sort of
> surge and go into gear and drive normally. the check engine light
> still goes off when she restarts the car. As far as I know, there is
> no stalling or rough idling problem.
> I am not certain if the CE light is related to the other problem, but
> she seems to think so.
> Any ideas?


Take it to a Hyundai and have them check the codes. This isn't rocket
science.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
jan820
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2009, 04:08 AM
On Jan 11, 9:58*pm, Voyager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> jan820 wrote:
> > My daughter just bought a 2001 Elantra, automatic transmission 2 weeks
> > ago. *The check engine light started coming on almost as soon as she
> > got it home. *She would turn off the ignition, re-start it and the
> > light would go out. *Now, she says it hesitates and will not
> > accelerate and the check engine light is on. *Then it will sort of
> > surge and go into gear and drive normally. *the check engine light
> > still goes off when she restarts the car. *As far as I know, there is
> > no stalling or rough idling problem.
> > I am not certain if the CE light is related to the other problem, but
> > she seems to think so.
> > Any ideas?

>
> Take it to a Hyundai and have them check the codes. *This isn't rocket
> science.


It's ok, I am not mechanically inclined either. That is why I
posted. However running off to the Hyundai dealer sort of defeats the
purpose of this forum. I was hoping to get some insight from someone
who knows about Hyundais. Thanks for your insightful response though.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Leythos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2009, 10:49 AM
In article <11546c33-5d7a-4ab0-8a54-
(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Jan 11, 9:58*pm, Voyager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > jan820 wrote:
> > > My daughter just bought a 2001 Elantra, automatic transmission 2 weeks
> > > ago. *The check engine light started coming on almost as soon as she
> > > got it home. *She would turn off the ignition, re-start it and the
> > > light would go out. *Now, she says it hesitates and will not
> > > accelerate and the check engine light is on. *Then it will sort of
> > > surge and go into gear and drive normally. *the check engine light
> > > still goes off when she restarts the car. *As far as I know, there is
> > > no stalling or rough idling problem.
> > > I am not certain if the CE light is related to the other problem, but
> > > she seems to think so.
> > > Any ideas?

> >
> > Take it to a Hyundai and have them check the codes. *This isn't rocket
> > science.

>
> It's ok, I am not mechanically inclined either. That is why I
> posted. However running off to the Hyundai dealer sort of defeats the
> purpose of this forum. I was hoping to get some insight from someone
> who knows about Hyundais. Thanks for your insightful response though.
>


Actually, going to the dealer or to a place that can connect a computer
to check the codes IS the right thing to do.

This group can't diagnose anything as vague as what you've posted, and
if you want her to have reliable transportation (in case it's cold where
you are) you should get the codes read soon.

--
- Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
- Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
(E-Mail Removed) (remove 999 for proper email address)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Marlow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2009, 12:18 PM
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 20:08:47 -0800 (PST), jan820 cast forth these pearls of
wisdom...:

> On Jan 11, 9:58*pm, Voyager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> jan820 wrote:
>>> My daughter just bought a 2001 Elantra, automatic transmission 2 weeks
>>> ago. *The check engine light started coming on almost as soon as she
>>> got it home. *She would turn off the ignition, re-start it and the
>>> light would go out. *Now, she says it hesitates and will not
>>> accelerate and the check engine light is on. *Then it will sort of
>>> surge and go into gear and drive normally. *the check engine light
>>> still goes off when she restarts the car. *As far as I know, there is
>>> no stalling or rough idling problem.
>>> I am not certain if the CE light is related to the other problem, but
>>> she seems to think so.
>>> Any ideas?

>>
>> Take it to a Hyundai and have them check the codes. *This isn't rocket
>> science.

>
> It's ok, I am not mechanically inclined either. That is why I
> posted. However running off to the Hyundai dealer sort of defeats the
> purpose of this forum. I was hoping to get some insight from someone
> who knows about Hyundais. Thanks for your insightful response though.


Not really. A problem like yours requires some additional information
before it can really be kicked around in a forum like this. So many things
could cause a problem like your daughter is experiencing - so, having the
codes in hand for any of today's cars is a must.

Many of us here do a lot of work on Hyundais and other cars. Lots of
expertise in this group. Not so hot on the crystal ball stuff though.

I think though, that the real intent behind the question posed to you was
that you daughter has some sort of warranty with that car. Why bother
chasing things that are most likely covered by the warranty?

--

-Mike-
(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Pawlowski
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2009, 02:18 PM

"jan820" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> Take it to a Hyundai and have them check the codes. This isn't rocket
> science.


It's ok, I am not mechanically inclined either. That is why I
posted. However running off to the Hyundai dealer sort of defeats the
purpose of this forum. I was hoping to get some insight from someone
who knows about Hyundais. Thanks for your insightful response though.

************************************************

Year ago, the shade tree mechanics could easily give you some ideas where to
look. Cars are much more complex today, but the code readers simplify life
in that respect. Takes away a lot of guesswork.

If you are under warranty, go to the dealer. If not, many auto parts places
will read the codes for you for free. Then, hopefully sell you some parts.


 
Reply With Quote
 
hyundaimech@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2009, 10:18 PM
On Jan 11, 8:54*pm, jan820 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My daughter just bought a 2001 Elantra, automatic transmission 2 weeks
> ago. *The check engine light started coming on almost as soon as she
> got it home. *She would turn off the ignition, re-start it and the
> light would go out. *Now, she says it hesitates and will not
> accelerate and the check engine light is on. *Then it will sort of
> surge and go into gear and drive normally. *the check engine light
> still goes off when she restarts the car. *As far as I know, there is
> no stalling or rough idling problem.
> I am not certain if the CE light is related to the other problem, but
> she seems to think so.
> Any ideas?


Sounds like a transmission-related problem. Most engine-related
issues don't turn out the lamp on restarts. Transmission failsafe
(3rd gear only) would explain poor acceleration.

As others have suggested, have it checked by an appropriate party.
The input and output speed sensors are the most common failures, but
there are far too many possibilities to make a reliable guess without
having at least a trouble code.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Voyager
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2009, 11:52 PM
jan820 wrote:
> On Jan 11, 9:58 pm, Voyager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> jan820 wrote:
>>> My daughter just bought a 2001 Elantra, automatic transmission 2 weeks
>>> ago. The check engine light started coming on almost as soon as she
>>> got it home. She would turn off the ignition, re-start it and the
>>> light would go out. Now, she says it hesitates and will not
>>> accelerate and the check engine light is on. Then it will sort of
>>> surge and go into gear and drive normally. the check engine light
>>> still goes off when she restarts the car. As far as I know, there is
>>> no stalling or rough idling problem.
>>> I am not certain if the CE light is related to the other problem, but
>>> she seems to think so.
>>> Any ideas?

>> Take it to a Hyundai and have them check the codes. This isn't rocket
>> science.

>
> It's ok, I am not mechanically inclined either. That is why I
> posted. However running off to the Hyundai dealer sort of defeats the
> purpose of this forum. I was hoping to get some insight from someone
> who knows about Hyundais. Thanks for your insightful response though.


There are probably at least half a dozen things that can cause what you
describe. If you are expecting to get insight from the internet on what
is wrong with a vehicle with what you describe above, then your
expectations are well out of line with reality. The first step in
diagnosing a vehicle with an illuminated CE light, is to find out what
the computer thinks is wrong. It may not be completely correct, but
that is the place to start and there is a LOT of insight in that
recommendation (about 30 years worth).

Matt
 
Reply With Quote
 
Voyager
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "jan820" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Take it to a Hyundai and have them check the codes. This isn't rocket
>> science.

>
> It's ok, I am not mechanically inclined either. That is why I
> posted. However running off to the Hyundai dealer sort of defeats the
> purpose of this forum. I was hoping to get some insight from someone
> who knows about Hyundais. Thanks for your insightful response though.
>
> ************************************************
>
> Year ago, the shade tree mechanics could easily give you some ideas where to
> look. Cars are much more complex today, but the code readers simplify life
> in that respect. Takes away a lot of guesswork.
>
> If you are under warranty, go to the dealer. If not, many auto parts places
> will read the codes for you for free. Then, hopefully sell you some parts.
>
>


Beware of the AutoZone, et al code readers. I had AutoZone read a code
on my Chevy truck and I was pretty sure it was incorrect for the
symptoms. In fact, the code sounded like the LAST thing I had fixed on
the truck. I then took it to a Chevy dealer and they read the correct
code which wasn't even close to what AutoZone had said. The problem was
the O2 sensor, but the code read was for the water temp sensor which I'd
had replaced a few months earlier. I don't know what happened, but they
definitely read the wrong code and there advice would have cost me money
and not solved my problem.

I'm amazed at the lengths that people will go to to avoid paying a few
bucks for good advice. I learned long ago that good advice is what is
really worth the money. I don't care if you are talking about financial
matters, medical matters or modern cars. The diagnosis is where the
money is saved or lost. NEVER scrimp on the diagnosis or the advice.
It will cost you more almost every time.

Matt
 
Reply With Quote
 
nothermark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2009, 12:30 PM
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:56:56 -0500, Voyager <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> "jan820" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Take it to a Hyundai and have them check the codes. This isn't rocket
>>> science.

>>
>> It's ok, I am not mechanically inclined either. That is why I
>> posted. However running off to the Hyundai dealer sort of defeats the
>> purpose of this forum. I was hoping to get some insight from someone
>> who knows about Hyundais. Thanks for your insightful response though.
>>
>> ************************************************
>>
>> Year ago, the shade tree mechanics could easily give you some ideas where to
>> look. Cars are much more complex today, but the code readers simplify life
>> in that respect. Takes away a lot of guesswork.
>>
>> If you are under warranty, go to the dealer. If not, many auto parts places
>> will read the codes for you for free. Then, hopefully sell you some parts.
>>
>>

>
>Beware of the AutoZone, et al code readers. I had AutoZone read a code
>on my Chevy truck and I was pretty sure it was incorrect for the
>symptoms. In fact, the code sounded like the LAST thing I had fixed on
>the truck. I then took it to a Chevy dealer and they read the correct
>code which wasn't even close to what AutoZone had said. The problem was
>the O2 sensor, but the code read was for the water temp sensor which I'd
>had replaced a few months earlier. I don't know what happened, but they
>definitely read the wrong code and there advice would have cost me money
>and not solved my problem.
>
>I'm amazed at the lengths that people will go to to avoid paying a few
>bucks for good advice. I learned long ago that good advice is what is
>really worth the money. I don't care if you are talking about financial
>matters, medical matters or modern cars. The diagnosis is where the
>money is saved or lost. NEVER scrimp on the diagnosis or the advice.
>It will cost you more almost every time.
>
>Matt


At $100/shop hr and an hour minimum billing to run the code reader at
the dealer I am not surprised. The real problem is learning how to
use a reader including clearing old codes when you fix something. That
is assuming you did fix it. If you cleared the code and it came back
you still have the problem.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2008 Accent Check Engine Light and Check Fuel Cap Light Paul Hyundai Accent 0 06-25-2008 09:34 PM
2001 Elantra "Check Engine" light NED Hyundai Elantra / Lantra 5 03-15-2006 05:50 PM
2001 hyundai elantra --check engine light firsttimer Hyundai Elantra / Lantra 3 03-17-2005 12:28 AM
Elantra 2001 CHECK ENGINE LIGHT - Idling ? suresh Hyundai Elantra / Lantra 4 01-10-2005 08:44 PM
Accent 2001 1.6l has check engine light on after gas fill up accent Hyundai Accent 11 01-03-2005 06:55 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:07 PM.