06' 2.7L oil pan warning.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Santa Fe' started by Gary Ronan, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Gary Ronan

Gary Ronan

Hello all. I'm new here but have owned my Santa Fe since I bought it new in 06'.
    I wanted to give A warning to all of you in the rust belt to check the condition of your lower oil pan. I recently took my car into the dealer for an oil change and was informed that oil was seeping through the oil pan. I have been bringing this car to the dealer for oil changes since it was new ( Denny Hecker and after he was sent to the gray bar hotel I started going to Buerkle Hyundai/Honda in White Bear Lake Minnesota ). In the nine years I have patronized these dealerships I was never told that the oil pan was getting rusty. I have been driving my own cars for 45 years ( I am 63 ) and in all that time I have never had A oil pan rust out until now. Upon inspection I scraped some of the dirt and rust off of the pan with A rag and my finger nail and in A spot close to the center of the pan A chunk of rust the size of A nickle came off and A trickle of oil started coming out. I needed to get A drain pan to catch it or I would have had A major mess on my shop floor.
    If this rust had come off when I was driving and the oil was hot I am sure I would have destroyed the engine. I was quoted A price of over 300 bucks to replace the pan which I declined. I was e-mailed A survey as to the work done on my car by the dealer and in the comments section I related what I thought of A 9 year old car needing an oil pan but I have yet to get A reply from Hyundai.
    I ordered A oil pan from an online auto parts store for about 70 bucks and will change it out myself. It's pretty much A cake walk except for 3 bolts behind the exhaust pipes but I got them out today. Getting them back in will not be pretty!
    In all it has been A darn good car but the most expensive repair that I had to pick up was the air cond. compressor. That was over 600 bucks and there is still A leak in the system that the dealer can't find. Dye in the lines, sniffed with there freon sniffer. No joy! It takes about A can and A half of freon every summer to top it up.
    If the air had taken A dump in 2013 the warranty might have still been in effect (don't know for sure) but that's the luck of the draw. Hyundai still has the best warranty out there. I would buy another but my needs are changing as I am retired now and nothing Hyundai sells is going to suit them so I will be looking at other vehicles in the near future.
    Good luck all and keep an eye on your oil pan!!

Gary Ronan, Sep 20, 2015
Ask a Question