low pitched howling sound from Santa Fe

Discussion in 'Hyundai Santa Fe' started by Richard, Sep 13, 2005.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    My 2002 Santa Fe with 37,000 miles has developed an intermittent howl
    from I think somewhere in the front end. The sound is like metal on
    metal without lubrication. The car has been to the dealer 3 times, but
    of course they never hear the noise. Sometimes it occurs when the car is
    driven slowly and sometimes at highway speeds. There is no vibration.
    Just the howl.

    Richard
     
    Richard, Sep 13, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. My 2002 Santa Fe AWD does the same thing. Any solution would be
    appreciated.
    Al

    Richard <> wrote:

    >My 2002 Santa Fe with 37,000 miles has developed an intermittent howl
    >from I think somewhere in the front end. The sound is like metal on
    >metal without lubrication. The car has been to the dealer 3 times, but
    >of course they never hear the noise. Sometimes it occurs when the car is
    >driven slowly and sometimes at highway speeds. There is no vibration.
    >Just the howl.
    >
    >Richard

    __
    Arold "Al" Green
     
    Arold \Al\ Green, Sep 13, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Richard

    hyundaitech Guest

    I've heard a few times a moaning or humming noise, but only driven at slow
    speeds. In these cases there was some sort of vibration set up in the
    front brakes. Removing the pads and coating the caliper contact points
    with grease resolved the issue.

    I'm doubtful we're talking about the same issue, though. In my cases, it
    would always go away when the brakes were applied, even slightly.
     
    hyundaitech, Sep 13, 2005
    #3
  4. That is exactly what mine does. Apply the brakes and the sound goes
    away. I'm not certain that it is only at low speeds, but that is when
    you can hear it.
    Al

    "hyundaitech" <> wrote:

    >I've heard a few times a moaning or humming noise, but only driven at slow
    >speeds. In these cases there was some sort of vibration set up in the
    >front brakes. Removing the pads and coating the caliper contact points
    >with grease resolved the issue.
    >
    >I'm doubtful we're talking about the same issue, though. In my cases, it
    >would always go away when the brakes were applied, even slightly.

    __
    Arold "Al" Green
     
    Arold \Al\ Green, Sep 13, 2005
    #4
  5. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Interesting. I was thinking it might be the brakes, but why hasn't the
    dealer checked this when I had the car in the shop with this complaint?

    hyundaitech wrote:
    > I've heard a few times a moaning or humming noise, but only driven at slow
    > speeds. In these cases there was some sort of vibration set up in the
    > front brakes. Removing the pads and coating the caliper contact points
    > with grease resolved the issue.
    >
    > I'm doubtful we're talking about the same issue, though. In my cases, it
    > would always go away when the brakes were applied, even slightly.
    >
     
    Richard, Sep 14, 2005
    #5
  6. Richard

    hyundaitech Guest

    It's possible they did check. The problem is that there's nothing abnormal
    seen. The first time I had this happen, I couldn't duplicate it on the
    customer's first visit. On his second visit, one of us drove the vehicle
    (I can't remember which) to the owner's specifications and we were able to
    make the noise occur after a few miles. Even after hearing the noise, I
    had little idea where it was actually coming from, and the vehicle
    wouldn't do it on the lift in the air with the wheels turning.

    What I then did was to call Hyundai's technical assistance line to see if
    they knew anything about this. The assistant said he had a similar case
    on the other side of the country, would call to see what they found, and
    would call me back. He had me lube any caliper to pad contact points and
    recheck. After the test drive with the customer, I knew how to make the
    noise occur, and lo and behold, the noise was gone.

    I've seen about three of these now, but never have I actually been able to
    see any physical problem with the brakes.
     
    hyundaitech, Sep 14, 2005
    #6
  7. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Thank you. I'll have my local dealer check with technical assistance and
    see if they can make the noise disappear.

    Richard

    hyundaitech wrote:
    > It's possible they did check. The problem is that there's nothing abnormal
    > seen. The first time I had this happen, I couldn't duplicate it on the
    > customer's first visit. On his second visit, one of us drove the vehicle
    > (I can't remember which) to the owner's specifications and we were able to
    > make the noise occur after a few miles. Even after hearing the noise, I
    > had little idea where it was actually coming from, and the vehicle
    > wouldn't do it on the lift in the air with the wheels turning.
    >
    > What I then did was to call Hyundai's technical assistance line to see if
    > they knew anything about this. The assistant said he had a similar case
    > on the other side of the country, would call to see what they found, and
    > would call me back. He had me lube any caliper to pad contact points and
    > recheck. After the test drive with the customer, I knew how to make the
    > noise occur, and lo and behold, the noise was gone.
    >
    > I've seen about three of these now, but never have I actually been able to
    > see any physical problem with the brakes.
    >
     
    Richard, Sep 15, 2005
    #7
  8. I also have a 2002 SantaFe, but, i dont hear any unusual noises. Can u
    better describe the 'howling noise' you hear ? If it sounds like metal
    on metal...that would produce a grinding noise or a creaking sound, no ?
     
    Dave in Lake Villa, Sep 17, 2005
    #8
  9. Richard

    Guest

    THAT'S BECAUSE DAVE'S A BLIND, DEAF, AND DUMB WEBTV ASSHOLE
     
    , Sep 18, 2005
    #9
  10. Richard

    hyundaitech Guest

    The one I've experienced I've seen only on a few vehicles and sounds like a
    very loud humming noise. If you've ever heard the loud hum from a bad Ford
    idle actuator, it sounds nearly identical.
     
    hyundaitech, Sep 19, 2005
    #10
  11. Richard

    S25 Guest

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:56:30 -0400, "hyundaitech"
    <> wrote:

    >The one I've experienced I've seen only on a few vehicles and sounds like a
    >very loud humming noise. If you've ever heard the loud hum from a bad Ford
    >idle actuator, it sounds nearly identical.
    >======================


    When new, my 2002 SF sometimes made a "moo-cow" sound
    when driving slowly, as in a parking lot. Sounded like brakes to me
    and I figured the noise would go away - wear in. It did. Stopped when
    I got about eleven hundred miles on the clock.

    S25
     
    S25, Sep 21, 2005
    #11
  12. Richard

    Guest Guest

    "hyundaitech" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've heard a few times a moaning or humming noise, but only driven at slow
    > speeds. In these cases there was some sort of vibration set up in the
    > front brakes. Removing the pads and coating the caliper contact points
    > with grease resolved the issue.
    >
    > I'm doubtful we're talking about the same issue, though. In my cases, it
    > would always go away when the brakes were applied, even slightly.
    >

    It's great how helpful these newsgroups can be, and in particular
    hyundaitech. Here it is August 2006 and I search for "hyundai santa fe
    grinding noise" and up pops this September 2005 message that nails my
    problem!!! Of coarse I won't be 100% sure until I apply the suggested fix.

    Here's my story. The wife and I drive about 2 hours at 70 mph in our 2001
    Santa Fe AWD. On the return trip I begin to hear a high pitched noise. So
    faint my wife doesn't notice it. We have the windows closed with the air on.
    Sounds to me like a bad bearing in the rear. But I haven't had that kind of
    problem since the late 60's, plus the Santa Fe only has 43,000 miles on it.
    I turned the steering wheel slightly to the left and right slowly, like you
    would do to warm up the tires. While swerving to the left, the noise occurs.
    While swerving to the right the noise goes away. Going straight, the noise
    persists. Now my wife hears the noise because I can turn it on and off. The
    further we travel the louder the noise gets. Then I notice the noise also
    goes away when I apply the brakes. What's weird is that just pressing down
    slightly on the brake pedal makes the noise go away. My first inclination is
    the noise goes away when the brake lights go on. That's how little the brake
    pedal is pressed to stop the noise. But the noise sounds too mechanical to
    be an electrical thing. Finally the noise gets loud enough to sound like a
    grinding noise. That plus the brake pedal action makes me think it's the
    wear tab on a brake pad. Even though pressing the brake pedal should make
    the noise occur, not go away. Anyway, when I got off the expressway, I
    bought pads for the four wheels and headed home. We lowered the windows when
    we got to our street and now it really sounds like serious grinding. Jack it
    up. Pop off a rear wheel. The pads look great. Go to the other wheels with a
    flashlight and from what I can see, they all appear to have plenty of pad
    left. Pull out a chair, sit down, and wonder now what?

    So I did this search. My next step is to pull off all the pads and apply
    grease to the caliper-to-pad contact points.

    Pasting hyundaitech's comment below:
    From 9/14/2005 @ 12:32 PM in this group
    "It's possible they did check. The problem is that there's nothing abnormal
    seen. The first time I had this happen, I couldn't duplicate it on the
    customer's first visit. On his second visit, one of us drove the vehicle
    (I can't remember which) to the owner's specifications and we were able to
    make the noise occur after a few miles. Even after hearing the noise, I
    had little idea where it was actually coming from, and the vehicle
    wouldn't do it on the lift in the air with the wheels turning.

    What I then did was to call Hyundai's technical assistance line to see if
    they knew anything about this. The assistant said he had a similar case
    on the other side of the country, would call to see what they found, and
    would call me back. He had me lube any caliper to pad contact points and
    recheck. After the test drive with the customer, I knew how to make the
    noise occur, and lo and behold, the noise was gone.

    I've seen about three of these now, but never have I actually been able to
    see any physical problem with the brakes."
     
    Guest, Aug 6, 2006
    #12
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Larry C.

    03 Elantra GT howling noise...

    Larry C., Aug 11, 2003, in forum: Hyundai Elantra / Lantra
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    410
    Larry C.
    Aug 15, 2003
  2. Krumpi

    Howling A/C on Accent 2003

    Krumpi, Jul 24, 2005, in forum: Hyundai Accent
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    281
    hyundaitech
    Jul 25, 2005
  3. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    875
    hyundaitech
    Aug 29, 2005
  4. WVK

    High pitched tone 2007 Santa fe

    WVK, Feb 26, 2008, in forum: Hyundai Santa Fe
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    550
    hyundaitech
    Feb 28, 2008
  5. fiddlerdog
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    465
    Antoinette Black
    Mar 5, 2015
Loading...

Share This Page