Santa Fe Transmission Fluid

Discussion in 'Hyundai Santa Fe' started by ghe, Mar 11, 2008.

  1. ghe

    ghe Guest

    Hi, Hyundai Tech,

    I have a 2006 Santa Fe. my local shop found that my transmission fluid is
    in dark brown color and had burn smell though there is only 15k miles,
    then they changed the transmission fluid 3 days ago, but they used ATF+4,
    they said it is compatible with SPIII.

    After search this forum, I am concerned about it, Some recommend to use
    OEM type fluid, while others said it is okay to use ATF+4 which is a more
    advanced product.

    In your opinion, is it okay? or should I have it re-flushed with SPIII?

    --
    Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.hyundai/
    More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
     
    ghe, Mar 11, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. ghe

    hyundaitech Guest

    I've no experience with ATF+4 in Hyundais. It's possible it'll be okay.
    Possibly not. Bottom line, it's not the specified fluid. Take it back
    and demand the shop flush the transmission with the correct fluid. If
    they won't, take it to the dealer and have it flushed with the correct
    fluid, even if you must pay for it. It won't be cheap, but it'll be far
    less expensive than paying for a transmission in the event Hyundai denies
    warranty coverage.

    As mentioned in the recent XG thread, it's not abnormal for the fluid to
    turn brown after a relatively short amount of driving. Typically, it'll
    still be relatively transparent. If it's opaque or has a burnt odor, then
    it should be changed.

    --
    Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.hyundai/
    More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
     
    hyundaitech, Mar 11, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. ghe

    ghe Guest

    Thank you very much. Hyundai gave me very confusing maintenance guide.
    User's manual suggests to go with month and milage whichever comes first,
    the online quick guide and Hyundai dealr service manager sugguest go with
    milage, especially for transmission fluid. If going with milage, it does
    not make sense to change transmission oil at 15k! that means I need to do
    that every 24 months! I drive my car to work, shop, church, and it is
    about 50% free way.

    What is your opinion?

    It really discourage me from buying Hyundai any more.


    --
    Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.hyundai/
    More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
     
    ghe, Mar 11, 2008
    #3
  4. ghe

    hyundaitech Guest

    The maintenance interval for transmission fluid in your owner's manual is
    guide you should follow. If you want to go exactly by the letter of the
    manual, you'll need to change it at 105,000 miles, or seven years,
    whichever comes first. You'll also need to replace the fluid if the
    required inspection at 30,000 miles (or two years) indicates it needs to
    be replaced.

    My opinion, however, is there's no reason to change transmission fluid
    based on time. It should be based on mileage and condition. So I'd say
    if the condition hasn't warranted up to 105k, change it then.

    --
    Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.hyundai/
    More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
     
    hyundaitech, Mar 11, 2008
    #4
  5. ghe

    Partner Guest

    Quote: >You'll also need to replace the fluid if the
    > required inspection at 30,000 miles (or two years) indicates it needs to
    > be replaced.

    Question: Required inspection by Whom? Dealer or anyone.?


    --


    "hyundaitech" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The maintenance interval for transmission fluid in your owner's manual is
    > guide you should follow. If you want to go exactly by the letter of the
    > manual, you'll need to change it at 105,000 miles, or seven years,
    > whichever comes first. You'll also need to replace the fluid if the
    > required inspection at 30,000 miles (or two years) indicates it needs to
    > be replaced.
    >
    > My opinion, however, is there's no reason to change transmission fluid
    > based on time. It should be based on mileage and condition. So I'd say
    > if the condition hasn't warranted up to 105k, change it then.
    >
    > --
    > Message posted using
    > http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.hyundai/
    > More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
    >
     
    Partner, Mar 11, 2008
    #5
  6. ghe

    Old_Timer Guest

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:26:05 -0500, "ghe" <> wrote:

    >Hi, Hyundai Tech,
    >
    >I have a 2006 Santa Fe. my local shop found that my transmission fluid is
    >in dark brown color and had burn smell though there is only 15k miles,
    >then they changed the transmission fluid 3 days ago, but they used ATF+4,
    >they said it is compatible with SPIII.
    >
    >After search this forum, I am concerned about it, Some recommend to use
    >OEM type fluid, while others said it is okay to use ATF+4 which is a more
    >advanced product.
    >
    >In your opinion, is it okay? or should I have it re-flushed with SPIII?


    I had a very similar experience. I was at an independent auto shop
    getting their "free-checkup" . They told me that the traniie fluid
    was too dark and needed to be changed. I asked them what kind of
    fluid they would put in. They said a regular off-the-shelf fluid that
    had some special additive that made it suitable for the Hyundai
    trannie.

    I reminded them what my owners manual stated in regard to SP-III.
    They told me that was it was a violation of the Moss-Magnusan Act for
    Hyundai to tell the owners that they cannot use the fluid they wanted
    to put in.

    I left that shop and went to the Hyundai dealer parts department and
    purchased 5 quarts of SP-III. Brought it home, put a pan under the
    trannie, pulled the plug, drained the fluid. and put the 5 quarts back
    in.

    That has been quite some time ago. More recently I was in the
    mountains and the trannie appeared to get overheated while going up
    some very steep upgrades. I let it cool down and after I got home I
    once again drained and added the 5 quarts of SP-III.
    Trannies are too expensive to be careless with their care.

    Old_Timer
     
    Old_Timer, Mar 11, 2008
    #6
  7. ghe

    ghe Guest

    I was told that ATF+4 meets the SP III specifications, but Hyundai dealer
    and Consumer Affair said it is not compatible with ATF+4. They told me
    that the only compatible ones are those listed on the user's manual, that
    is their best knowledge.

    Old Timer, how often you change your fluid? based on miles or months? Did
    you ever do a complete flush ever?


    --
    Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.hyundai/
    More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
     
    ghe, Mar 11, 2008
    #7
  8. ghe

    Old_Timer Guest

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:39:13 -0500, "ghe" <> wrote:

    >I was told that ATF+4 meets the SP III specifications, but Hyundai dealer
    >and Consumer Affair said it is not compatible with ATF+4. They told me
    >that the only compatible ones are those listed on the user's manual, that
    >is their best knowledge.
    >
    >Old Timer, how often you change your fluid? based on miles or months? Did
    >you ever do a complete flush ever?


    I have 64000 miles on the car and have doen the drain five and add
    five 3 times. The last time ws solely becuase of overheating the
    trannis onthe mountain road climb. I could probalby avoided the
    overheat situtaion if I had put it into 2nd gear for the climb,

    Old_Timer
     
    Old_Timer, Mar 11, 2008
    #8
  9. ghe

    hyundaitech Guest

    hyundaitech, Mar 12, 2008
    #9
  10. ghe

    B Crawford Guest

    Hi Group,
    I have the XG300 (2001) with 122,000 km (about 80,000 mi) & I too have
    changed fluid 3 times, the last being fairly recent. I do the change per HMA
    directions for this model (i.e. take off the tranny return line & crank it
    at the end until it bubbles -takes 7 + litres this way). That said I drive
    quite steep mountain roads (10% grades) all the time & sometimes pull a
    small trailer. The new fluid may stay the same colour for quite a while &
    suddenly go dark. Like Hyundaitech says this is not necessarily something to
    worry about unless it's burnt -should have an odour to it then. I suspect
    that heat is what darkens the fluid especially on a hot summer day when
    you're cranking up those kind of grades. I have always used the Hyundai auto
    tranny fluid which used to be SPII but is now SPIII. Unless I get a burned
    odour I plan to keep that fluid for about 60,000 km. One other thing I have
    done to reassure me all is well is to pull the drain plug when cold, hold my
    finger over the drain & examine how much metallic debris is attached to said
    magnetic plug. First time there was an amount about equal to the end of my
    thumb (from the bottom of the thumbnail). Last time quite a bit less, so I
    think I'll monitor it once a year like this b/c I don't even loose a 1/4 L
    with this check. Any feed back on checking this way??
    BCinBC
    <Old_Timer> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:39:13 -0500, "ghe" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I was told that ATF+4 meets the SP III specifications, but Hyundai dealer
    >>and Consumer Affair said it is not compatible with ATF+4. They told me
    >>that the only compatible ones are those listed on the user's manual, that
    >>is their best knowledge.
    >>
    >>Old Timer, how often you change your fluid? based on miles or months? Did
    >>you ever do a complete flush ever?

    >
    > I have 64000 miles on the car and have doen the drain five and add
    > five 3 times. The last time ws solely becuase of overheating the
    > trannis onthe mountain road climb. I could probalby avoided the
    > overheat situtaion if I had put it into 2nd gear for the climb,
    >
    > Old_Timer
     
    B Crawford, Mar 12, 2008
    #10
  11. ghe

    Ellouise Guest

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 02:47:55 GMT, "B Crawford" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi Group,
    > I have the XG300 (2001) with 122,000 km (about 80,000 mi) & I too have
    >changed fluid 3 times, the last being fairly recent. I do the change per HMA
    >directions for this model (i.e. take off the tranny return line & crank it
    >at the end until it bubbles -takes 7 + litres this way). That said I drive
    >quite steep mountain roads (10% grades) all the time & sometimes pull a
    >small trailer. The new fluid may stay the same colour for quite a while &
    >suddenly go dark. Like Hyundaitech says this is not necessarily something to
    >worry about unless it's burnt -should have an odour to it then. I suspect
    >that heat is what darkens the fluid especially on a hot summer day when
    >you're cranking up those kind of grades. I have always used the Hyundai auto
    >tranny fluid which used to be SPII but is now SPIII. Unless I get a burned
    >odour I plan to keep that fluid for about 60,000 km. One other thing I have
    >done to reassure me all is well is to pull the drain plug when cold, hold my
    >finger over the drain & examine how much metallic debris is attached to said
    >magnetic plug. First time there was an amount about equal to the end of my
    >thumb (from the bottom of the thumbnail). Last time quite a bit less, so I
    >think I'll monitor it once a year like this b/c I don't even loose a 1/4 L
    >with this check. Any feed back on checking this way??



    I really don't know how much metalic debris I had on the first two
    times. I simply did not take notice. On the third, most recent, only
    a vey small amount of metalic debris.

    Old_Timer


    >BCinBC
    ><Old_Timer> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:39:13 -0500, "ghe" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I was told that ATF+4 meets the SP III specifications, but Hyundai dealer
    >>>and Consumer Affair said it is not compatible with ATF+4. They told me
    >>>that the only compatible ones are those listed on the user's manual, that
    >>>is their best knowledge.
    >>>
    >>>Old Timer, how often you change your fluid? based on miles or months? Did
    >>>you ever do a complete flush ever?

    >>
    >> I have 64000 miles on the car and have doen the drain five and add
    >> five 3 times. The last time ws solely becuase of overheating the
    >> trannis onthe mountain road climb. I could probalby avoided the
    >> overheat situtaion if I had put it into 2nd gear for the climb,
    >>
    >> Old_Timer

    >
     
    Ellouise, Mar 12, 2008
    #11
  12. ghe

    Dan K Guest

    "B Crawford" <> wrote in message
    news:vvHBj.100282$C61.27432@edtnps89...
    > Hi Group,
    > I have the XG300 (2001) with 122,000 km (about 80,000 mi) & I too have
    > changed fluid 3 times, the last being fairly recent. I do the change per
    > HMA directions for this model (i.e. take off the tranny return line &
    > crank it at the end until it bubbles -takes 7 + litres this way). That
    > said I drive quite steep mountain roads (10% grades) all the time &
    > sometimes pull a small trailer. The new fluid may stay the same colour for
    > quite a while & suddenly go dark. Like Hyundaitech says this is not
    > necessarily something to worry about unless it's burnt -should have an
    > odour to it then. I suspect that heat is what darkens the fluid especially
    > on a hot summer day when you're cranking up those kind of grades. I have
    > always used the Hyundai auto tranny fluid which used to be SPII but is now
    > SPIII. Unless I get a burned odour I plan to keep that fluid for about
    > 60,000 km. One other thing I have done to reassure me all is well is to
    > pull the drain plug when cold, hold my finger over the drain & examine how
    > much metallic debris is attached to said magnetic plug. First time there
    > was an amount about equal to the end of my thumb (from the bottom of the
    > thumbnail). Last time quite a bit less, so I think I'll monitor it once a
    > year like this b/c I don't even loose a 1/4 L with this check. Any feed
    > back on checking this way??
    > BCinBC



    I had to replace the compression washer after about the 3rd drain and fill.
    No big deal, but a little panic mode adrenalin rush when I saw the pool of
    tranny fluid on the garage floor the next day. Just pick one up and be
    ready.

    Dan
     
    Dan K, Mar 12, 2008
    #12
  13. ghe

    Darby OGill Guest

    I think changing tranny fluid often on a highway driver is a bit of a scam.
    Go down to the barber shop and ask the guys you put zillions of miles on
    Electras, Fairlanes, Polaras, Cutlasses, Caprices etc how ofetn they changed
    their tranny fluid....betcha once in a 100k at best.........that being said
    I changed mine once in 62k on the sonata-obliged the dealer around 30k miles
    on his insistence. Of course, if fluid is burnt (why is that happening),
    change it. if you live atop Pikes peek, of tow a house trailer ymmv !

    < flame suit on :>) >

    PS Why was OP vehicle in tranny shop at 15K?? Also, if a shop said my fluid
    looked bad at that mileage on a routine visit, I'd like to take a look and
    sniff myself.
     
    Darby OGill, Mar 12, 2008
    #13
  14. ghe

    ghe Guest

    ghe, Mar 12, 2008
    #14
  15. ghe

    hyundaitech Guest

    hyundaitech, Mar 12, 2008
    #15
  16. ghe

    Darby OGill Guest

    "ghe" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The service was to comply with the maitenance requirements in the user's
    > manual, 24 months or 30k whichever comes first. I only put 15k in 2
    > years.
    > Some guys here do drain and fill in stead of flush, do not know if this
    > practice is good enough.
    >
    > --
    > Message posted using
    > http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.hyundai/
    > More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
    >


    Did you get a chance to see/smell the fluid?? I've known guys of dubious
    character to wipe the dipstick with a dirty and rag and say "see, your fluid
    looks like heck". (same guys would rattle an empty bottle of drygas in the
    filler neck and say"you're all set mam, that'll be 4 bucks" ) Fox in charge
    of hen house kind of scenario. I do understand wanting to keep your warranty
    in good order, I just doubt the Actual Need for that frequency .
     
    Darby OGill, Mar 12, 2008
    #16
  17. ghe

    B.C. MALLAM Guest

    I got a qt. of transmission oil in case I needed to add some at my local
    auto parts store and they gave me Valvoline Mercon V full synthetic. Is the
    Hyundai transmission oil synthetic or a blend?


    On 3/12/08 5:01 PM, in article QoYBj.5834$FG2.101@trndny08, "Darby OGill"
    <> wrote:

    >
    > "ghe" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> The service was to comply with the maitenance requirements in the user's
    >> manual, 24 months or 30k whichever comes first. I only put 15k in 2
    >> years.
    >> Some guys here do drain and fill in stead of flush, do not know if this
    >> practice is good enough.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Message posted using
    >> http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.hyundai/
    >> More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
    >>

    >
    > Did you get a chance to see/smell the fluid?? I've known guys of dubious
    > character to wipe the dipstick with a dirty and rag and say "see, your fluid
    > looks like heck". (same guys would rattle an empty bottle of drygas in the
    > filler neck and say"you're all set mam, that'll be 4 bucks" ) Fox in charge
    > of hen house kind of scenario. I do understand wanting to keep your warranty
    > in good order, I just doubt the Actual Need for that frequency .
    >
    >



    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
     
    B.C. MALLAM, Mar 12, 2008
    #17
  18. ghe

    hyundaitech Guest

    hyundaitech, Mar 14, 2008
    #18
  19. Agree. Anything that says Dexron or Mercon should be avoided.

    Mr. HyundaiTech, you and I have gone around a time or two about the
    compatibility of certain other fluids (like ATF+4). But those two fluids
    are the ones that my dealership also EXPRESSLY says you must stay away from.

    Speaking of tranny fluid, Castrol has come out with a new set of
    "multi-vehicle transmission fluids." One of them is called "Import." It is
    the first fluid I have seen which is expressly labeled, "Approved for use in
    transmissions requiring Mitsubishi Diamond ATF SP, SPII, and SPIII." It
    also lists other import trannys and fluids.

    It is apparently also being sold now under some store names. Any thoughts
    about this fluid, especially since the terms "Dexron" and "Mercon" are
    nowhere to be found on this fluid (though ATF+4 is)?


    "hyundaitech" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I suspect it's synthetic, but there's nothing that indicates, so I don't
    > know. DO NOT use the Mercon V.
    >
    > --
    > Message posted using
    > http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.hyundai/
    > More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
    >
     
    Rev. Tom Wenndt, Mar 14, 2008
    #19
  20. ghe

    Mike Guest

    I've been using Amsoil's full synthetic for some time now. It's also
    Hyundia SPIII approved. I'm much more satisfied with it than the OEM
    fluid.
     
    Mike, Mar 15, 2008
    #20
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bob Westerlund

    Sonata transmission fluid level

    Bob Westerlund, May 25, 2004, in forum: Hyundai Sonata
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    772
    Jason
    May 30, 2004
  2. nukala

    Vanishing Transmission Fluid in 2002 santa fe

    nukala, Jun 30, 2004, in forum: Hyundai Santa Fe
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    505
  3. Tom
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    339
    hyundaitech
    Dec 5, 2007
  4. ghe

    More about Santa Fe Transmission Fluid

    ghe, Mar 11, 2008, in forum: Hyundai Santa Fe
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    448
  5. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,327
    hyundaitech
    May 5, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page