01 Accent transmission issues

Discussion in 'Hyundai Accent' started by bhuggins, Feb 29, 2012.

1. bhuggins

bhuggins

I have a 2001 Hyundai Accent. I bought it new and while it was under warranty the transmission was replaced by the dealership. This was in late 2008. It is now having issues shifting into 4th. It only does this when it's cold (under 45° outside). The check engine light came on with a different code 3 different times, so we spent nearly $1,000 taking care.of those issues. It did not resolve the shifting issue. The dealership is now telling me that I need a new transmission to the tune of $2,500. It also has a ticking noise that I highly suspect is a timing belt (as the last time it made this noise, it was a timing belt) but the dealership is saying this is part of the transmission. I'm a girl, not a moron. I know they're wrong about the ticking noise, which also makes me question their diagnosis of the transmission, since, at barely 50,000 miles and not even 4 years, there is no way this transmission should already need to be replaced.

Has anyone else had this issue? Hyundai refuses to even consider paying any part of the repairs as the original warranty has expired. I'm about to just junk the whole car and get a Honda, but want to try to save it, if repairs won't cost more than the stupid car is worth.

bhuggins, Feb 29, 2012
Ask a Question