04 Accent AC

Discussion in 'Hyundai Accent' started by Mike Stone, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Mike Stone

Mike Stone

I purchased an 04 Accent base option car with no AC. I checked and it appears to have come off the assembly line with all of the AC wiring including the AC button and evaporator temp control plug-ins under the dash, all the plug-ins in the engine compartment and the plug-ins for the relay switches. I checked with the local Hyundai dealer service manager about installing AC and he didn't know... So, I took a gamble and pulled an entire AC system from a wreaked Accent. All the parts fit perfect.
    1st Question: Before I pay to have the AC system vacuum tested and then charged up, am I missing something such as the car's computer will need to be swiped to tell the computer it now has AC?
    2nd Question: How tight does the bolt on the AC belt tension pulley have to be? (I tightened it to snug to not restrict the pulley bearing).

Thanks,
    Mike
    Home garage wrencher

Mike Stone, Aug 11, 2017
  2. Mike Stone

avisitor

Back when ... I bought a Hyundai Excel 1991 or was it 92?
    Can't remember. Anyway, I bought it new. Base with no AC.
    Later, during the summer months, I decide to pit AC in.
    It cost about $1000 dollars to put in. But, supposedly it had everything all set to take it
    Guess it saves money on making changes on the assembly line.

The car's ECM should have a line that goes to an AC relay to tell the compressor to turn on.
    And one from the AC controls to the ECM. You can probably find schematics for the AC
    Then check to see if the wires are there. Back then, there was no need to update the ECM
    about the AC. Not certain about now a days.

Why didn't the service manager know if it needs it or not?
    Well, you have got everything? Check schematics to see if it is all there?

Good luck

avisitor, Aug 12, 2017
  3. Mike Stone

Mike Stone

Thanks for the advise. I had the AC mobile service guy come out to the house. The system was vacuumed tested (one line leak fixed) and loaded with freon. It all worked, blowing cold air!!. Thanks to the service guy for checking and testing the relay switches, the fan relay switch had to be replaced with one that provided power to the AC fan relay switch, all electronics worked. No ECM flashing, YES!
    Very satisfied, one for the garage wrencher.
    Mike

Mike Stone, Aug 15, 2017
  4. Mike Stone

avisitor

That is great news. It was fantastic you got an AC guy who knew his stuff.
    And got your system up and running so fast.
    Thanks for the update.

avisitor, Aug 15, 2017
Ask a Question