2002 xg350 Low power possible fix

Discussion in 'Hyundai Grandeur / Azera / XG' started by olddoug, Nov 19, 2017.

1. olddoug

olddoug

I found that the front or left (as they call it) catalytic converter on the bottom of the exhaust manifold had mostly burned up, due
    to the engine misfire i had. About 3 inches of the honeycomb was missing in the bottom area of it.
    I dumped out the remains from the exhaust pipe, which looked like gray rocks and powder.
    What led me to this was code po431 coming on sometimes and the temperature of the pipe coming out of the converter
    by the radiator was hotter than the back pipe because the exhaust couldn't get out.
    Also my engine started leaking oil due to the pressure building up in the engine.
    I ordered the part, i will let you know of the outcome.

P.S. I had to grind the rusty nuts off the exhaust pipe. The dealer had them.

olddoug, Nov 19, 2017
  2. olddoug

avisitor

It sounds like the cat is cooked. May be also clogged.
    This will definitely mess with the engine
    Oh, not unusual for rust to form on exhaust parts
    It makes it almost impossible to fix exhaust.

avisitor, Nov 20, 2017
  3. olddoug

olddoug

CONFIRMED FIX:
    Replaced the warm-up converter by the radiator.
    Removed the pipe with the large converter on the back of it.
    I held the front of the pipe down and lightly tapped on it to remove the particles(remains of the old warm-up converter).
    This stuff must be removed from inside the pipe to regain the power of the engine.
    P.S. If you remove the pipe under the warm-up converters, you can look in the bottom of them to see which
    is missing material.

olddoug, Nov 24, 2017
Ask a Question