2006 Elantra turns over but does not crank

Discussion in 'Hyundai Elantra / Lantra' started by josephmauldin3, Jul 30, 2019.

1. josephmauldin3

josephmauldin3

I was hoping someone may have some ideas that can help me track down what is going on. I have a 2006 Elantra Limited 2.0L. When I first got it, it had a blown head gasket. Easy enough I replaced the gasket and replaced the head because it was warped. It ran for a few days but then had an electrical short from a hot wire that was lying loose in the trunk that I did not know about, and blew a whole bunch of sensors and relays. Now it just turns over but does not start. It has no codes either.

I pulled the fuel rail and the injectors are shooting fuel. I pulled the spark plugs out and they are sparking. I have checked the MAF sensor and it is good and measures within specs. I checked the TPS and it is good and measures within specs. I have pulled each individual fuse and looked at it and even checked continuity on them. I have tried jump starting it from another vehicle. I have tried cranking it on its own. Turns over and over just never starts...

These are the parts I have replaced so far. Some were replaced before the short and some after.
    Neutral Safety Switch - replaced after short
    Camshaft position sensor - replaced after short
    Crankshaft position sensor - replaced after short
    Ignition coil - replaced before and after short
    Spark plugs - replaced before short
    Spark plug wires - replaced before short
    Fuel pump -replaced before short
    Fuel filter - replaced before short
    Fuel pump relay - replaced after short
    ECU relay - replaced after short
    Fuel injectors - replaced before short
    Water pump - replaced before short
    Knock sensor - replaced after short
    Oil Control VVT Valve Variable Valve Timing Solenoid - replaced before short
    Idle Speed Air Control Valve - replaced before short
    Oil Temperature sensor - replaced before short

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am very stumped!!! I was thinking maybe another relay that could be bad and keeping it from starting but I have no other ideas what to check. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

josephmauldin3, Jul 30, 2019
  2. josephmauldin3

avisitor

Fuel ... fuel pump running, fuel pressure at fuel rail, injector pulse
    Air ... air flow into engine, IAC, etc
    Spark ... spark at plugs
    Timing ... got to happen at right time
    Exhaust ... Is engine breathing correctly
    Compression ... need to squeeze in order to have the bang

avisitor, Jul 30, 2019
  3. josephmauldin3

josephmauldin3

I found more 2 relays that were bad. One for the ECM and the other Hyundai called "power". I had to order the relays since no one stocked them locally. After I replace them if it still doesn't start I will check the exhaust. I had forgotten about that and had not checked it yet.

josephmauldin3, Jul 31, 2019
Ask a Question