2008 sonata - can't turn key

Discussion in 'Hyundai Sonata' started by mutt 1, Mar 14, 2019.

1. mutt 1

mutt 1

hi I have 2008 Hyundai Sonata limited, I put car in park and shut it off but the key wouldn't turn any further than the accessory position. then I disconnected the positive battery cable and then I was able to turn key to lock and pull it out. help

mutt 1, Mar 14, 2019
  2. mutt 1

avisitor

There should be a switch in the gear selector that allows the key to come out when the selector is put into park
    Almost the same as disconnecting the battery.
    Maybe the switch is faulty

avisitor, Mar 14, 2019
  3. mutt 1

Pocketmom92

Same thing happened to my 2011 sonata. I googled it and found there is a relay or fuse in the fuse box next to steering wheel that you can pull and it will then let you turn the key and get it out. Ive been doing that for weeks now but now im having some other pretty alarming issues and i get the feeling its because of that... So im still looking for a relatively inexpensive fix for the key problem.

Pocketmom92, Jan 4, 2020
  4. mutt 1

David in San Diego

I cannot get my 2015 Sonata key to come out of the ignition when I put it in Park. The car will start and run fine but I cannot retrieve my key when I turn the engine off.... BTW... The Dash indicates "P" when I put it in Park.... Any ideas ? Thanks. dave

David in San Diego, Aug 16, 2021
  5. mutt 1

David in San Diego

Hi.. I just tried the same thing and the key is still stuck.... I have an appointment Wednesday at El Cajon CA Hyundai. will let you know what happens.... BTW... A 'work around' is to go ahead and leave the car locked with a Club steering wheel lock in place.... been using them for years.... have not lost a car yet... Dave

David in San Diego, Aug 16, 2021
Ask a Question