2009 3.3l engine tick when temperatures are below freezing

Discussion in 'Hyundai Santa Fe' started by virtualzoo, May 17, 2017.

1. virtualzoo

virtualzoo

I have a 2009 Santa Fe Limited with the 3.3l V6 that exhibits an engine tick that sounds like a valve lash issue with cold weather - especially loud when temps are below freezing. The tick noise is most pronounced when the engine is above idle, as when slowly accelerating. The tick noise will go away as engine warms to normal operating temperature. The engine has 57,000 miles on it and I bought it used, so i have no prior winter weather experience. I changed the oil to synthetic with only minor improvement. I currently have it torn down thinking an out-of-spec valve clearance, however all clearances are right in the middle of the specification range measured @ 70degf. I took the timing chain cover off and don't see any issues there either. Seems like the 09 should have the improved timing chain tensioners, how can I tell? I've read about the TSB for genuine Hyundai oil filters, however I don't have an OEM oil filer installed on the vehicle, could that really create the noise? I have reasonable mechanical skills and am looking for help.

virtualzoo, May 17, 2017
  2. virtualzoo

virtualzoo

I was at my local Hyundai dealer yesterday and the parts counter person (who has 20 years with Hyundai) said the TSB for oil filters applies to engines that utilize the metal can-style oil filters, not the refill cartridge-type like I have. I bought the OEM filter and will use 5W-20 full synthetic oil. It's warm weather currently, so the engine remains quite at this time. From what I'm hearing, it's regarded as normal - hope the engine don't self destruct. No replies - really!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2017
    virtualzoo, Jun 9, 2017
Ask a Question