2011 V6 Spark Plug Replacement and Engine Decarb

Discussion in 'Hyundai Santa Fe' started by Candew, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Candew

Candew

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I recently had our 2011 Sante Fe Sport (AWD, V6) in for an oil change and maintenance. The mechanic recommended we change out our spark plugs and do an engine decarbonization at the same time.

I know the cost of the plugs are fairly cheap, so when they said the price would be close to $500.00 (CDN) with labour, I was quite shocked, but from what I have read, it is rather labour intensive to get at some of the plugs in a V6. They also recommended they remove the carbon build up in my engine at the same time.

We recently reached the 120000 KM mark, and our manual states that we should consider replacing our plugs at 160000 KM. Should I go with the manual and wait until the 160 KM mark? Is a decarb process even necessary or are they padding their bill?

I should state that we had no engine issues at all, stalling, etc, sputtering nor engine light to indicate their was any issues with the engine. Thanks for your thoughts!

Candew, Sep 20, 2016
Ask a Question