2012 Sonata Hybrid keeps shutting down

Discussion in 'Hyundai Sonata' started by jcparkins, Jan 4, 2022.

1. jcparkins

jcparkins

All of the recalls have been done, no new engine just updated knock sensor software, new hybrid battery last year.

About 3 weeks ago it went into limp mode and we were told by the hybrid tech at the dealer that it needed new spark plugs. So to the tune of $600 they replaced them. All was fine until last week when driving the Check Hybrid System - Do Not Drive warning came on. Turned it off, waited a few seconds, turned it back on, and the check engine light was on but I could drive it. Drove it again a few days later and left it running while parked and waiting on someone and the hybrid system light came on again. Same result after restarting, just the check engine light but it will run fine.

Has anyone else had this happen? I am ready to sell it, I have zero confidence in it anymore.

jcparkins, Jan 4, 2022
  2. jcparkins

Ormyhom5

I paid $165 at the dealership for an oil pressure warning light diagnostic. I didn't tell them the Hybrid Warning also would come on after 100 mile trips. Nothing like being on a trip and this bombshell warning drops! The dealer lied and made excuses, but couldn't find the problem. Naturally. Here's how I think I found out both were false alarms.... From my old Powerglide (2 speed) days and 50 years of driving, I'd put the automatic transmission in Neutral to coast. Bad habit. Once I stopped doing in in this '16 hybrid, I haven't had these warnings since. Overly simplistic, sure. But no more warning lights.

Ormyhom5, Feb 7, 2023
Ask a Question