2015 Elantra: key will not turn to start the car and brake is firm.

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by eb77, Nov 15, 2018.

1. eb77

eb77

Hi all:

I've gone over this forum since my problem began yesterday and I am hoping to get some guidance as to what the issue may be.
    Hyundai was not terribly helpful when I called (the dealership).

Yesterday upon trying to start my car I was unable to turn the key , it is in the lock position and the brake pedal is pretty firm to the touch. I sprayed the ignition with a little WD and tried tapping the key to see if it was a contact issue, which it doesn't appear to be. When I insert the key with the door open the car chimes its usual warnings. Additionally, when I remove the key the lights in the car come on as they normally do - all of which lead me to believe it is not an ignition issue.
    As I stated, the brakes are very hard to the touch. If I tap the brakes no brake light comes on, however the brake lights do come on if I push the brakes quite hard.

I don't have a push button start so I can't over ride the ignition. However I am wondering if thre is any way to get the car started so I can at least get it in to the shop and get it serviced.

Thanks for any help

eb77, Nov 15, 2018
  2. eb77

avisitor

Have you tried turning the steering wheel a bit while trying to turn the key in the ignition??
    Sometimes the steering wheel lock will prevent the key from freely turning.
    Turning the wheel will give it some slack so the key can turn.

Also, The gear selector can do the same thing to stop the key from turning.
    So, would also try moving gear selector in and out of park while turning the key

If it is not that then the ignition cylinder must be changed.
    Locksmiths should be able to do this for a fee.

avisitor, Nov 16, 2018
  3. eb77

angelo jensen

I agree with ^^. I noticed sometimes my steering wheel sometimes locks and it wont let me start the car. Try pulling it a bit before turning the key. Also try putting the shifter to neutral. The brakes shouldn't be hard when the engine is running. They get hard when the car is off bc the booster isn't providing vacuum to the system and pressure isn't being released.

angelo jensen, Feb 1, 2019
Ask a Question