2015 Hyundai Sonata SE (108k miles) has Oil in cylinder heads and consumes oil

Discussion in 'Hyundai Sonata' started by DonnyC426, Oct 16, 2020.

1. DonnyC426

DonnyC426

My Sonata has been using about 1 qt of oil every 1200 miles. Upon changing the spark plugs at 105K, I noticed three of the four plugs were wet with oil (#1,2,4), only #3 was dry. The car had sat overnight before the spark plug change. I would think this could only be caused by oil leaking from the valve stems back into the cylinder head overnight (bad seals?) The oil has been changed religiously every 5K with full synthetic oil and only Hyundai oil filters. Could this be caused by carbon build up on the valve stems making the seals fail? Would the failed seals be a warranty item?

DonnyC426, Oct 16, 2020
  2. DonnyC426

S-petersen

The oil may have run down the plug as it was removed, if the valve cover was leaking around the spark plug. If oil was leaking around the valve seals, I think it would run down the walls rather than the plug, because of the angle of the valves in the head.
    When the oil burning gets to 1qt per 1000 miles, take it in for the consumption test, and the engine will be replaced under recall or warranty

S-petersen, Nov 1, 2020
  3. DonnyC426

DonnyC426

What made me think it was the stem seals and not the valve cover seals, was the plugs only being wet on the threads, nothing on the plug itself. The car has never smoked, even upon first start in the morning. The subject is mute at his point anyway because I traded the car about a week ago for a new 2020 Sonata SEL. Let's hope the new engine design is better. So far the engine and transmission are working great together.

DonnyC426, Nov 1, 2020
Ask a Question