2020 Sonata Problems

Discussion in 'Hyundai Sonata' started by N&R, Feb 13, 2020.

1. N&R

N&R

On 1/31/20, I leased a loaded 2020 Sonata Limited with with 121 miles on the odometer. The dealership 'couldn't find' my key cards. Here we are two weeks later, and they still can't find my key cards, no one has sent me any key card duplicates..... no calls, no updates..... nothing.

On 2/5/20, I was driving on the freeway at 65 mph on cruise control, and the car started sputtering. The speed started dropping. I had to pull over to the curb. The engine was running really rough. I'm still on the same tank of gas that the dealership provided. I store my car on a locked garage, and I'm the only one who has driven it.

I turned the car off, restarted it, and attempted to accelerate. The car would only accelerate to 25-30 mph, even with the throttle on the floor. It didn't matter what gear I was in, the car seemed like it had very little power.

I stopped, pulled over, shut the car off, and restarted the car several times. Same issues. The car won't go over 25-30mph in any gear!

I called my Hyundai sales rep, and he made an appointment to have my car brought in the next afternoon.

On 2/6/20, after waiting in the Hyundai Service Waiting Room for 3 LONG hours, the Service Center finally told me that they couldn't fix my new car because...... as they said..... "I have a brand new 2020 Sonata, and they don't have the diagnostic codes or the parts to fix it." On an upside however..... They were genuinely very sorry about my luck.

Yup.... Hyundai is selling new cars that they can't diagnose or repair. I'm the proof.

Universal Hyundai loaned me a used Elantra to use while they figure out what they're going to do next. I'm not permitted to take the loaner out of the State, not permitted to carry my dogs in the car, and my wife isn't permitted to drive the loaner. Looks like Hyundai also placed me on on probation for leasing a new car that they can't service.

On 2/12/20 Universal Hyundai called me today and said that they wouldn't have my car fixed until the end of April!!!!!

Let me say that again. Universal Hyundai is prohibiting me from leaving the State in their loaner, and my new Sonata isn't allowed to leave the dealership for at least 60 days while I continue to make on-time lease payments on it

On 2/14/20, a Universal Hyundai technician called me..... Not the Service Manager or the General Manger.... a service guy called me to give me the toll free number to where he said I could file a Hyundai Consumer Affairs report.

I called the Hyundai Consumer Affairs number and they took a report. They told me that someone would call me in one week. In one week Universal Hyundai would have had my brand new car for 14 days, which would make the car eligible for a buyback under the Florida Lemon Law.

What amazes me most is this......

I purchased a new Genesis G80 3 years ago from Universal Hyundai, and just leased a loaded 2020 Sonata Limited from them, but the Service Manager and the General Manager are, I guess..... 'too busy' to give one of their repeat customers a 5 minute phone call to offer some support and acknowledgement during Hyundai's misfortune.

So...... I don't post Yelp reviews. I hate Yelp reviews because Yelp reviews are usually just people complaining about cold burgers and soggy fries. If you look at my Yelp profile, you'll see that this is the only Yelp review that I've ever posted. Why?

Because I asked my sales person to ask the Sales Manager to contact me over these issues and my sales person texted me back stating "I can't guarantee he will reach out to you, but I can promise he will get this from me today."

I haven't yet even heard even a peep from the Service Manager, so since Universal isn't interested in providing the customer service that they promised me during the sale, It's entirely appropriate to air the dirty laundry for all to see.

Universal Hyundai dropped the ball, kicked the ball down the street, and they've chosen not to play fair, because...... I'm literally just one guy out of 10,000 customers. I'm just a number. They already made the sale, and there will be literally thousands of customers who will buy from Universal Hyundai whether they do the right thing or not.

I hope that Lori B. of Universal Hyundai doesn't just comment back on this post with the typical canned corporate response of..... "We are grateful for your honest feedback. We certainly apologize for any inconvenience, bla, bla, bla, We will be sure to reflect on your situation carefully, bla, bla, bla, so this doesn't happen again bla, bla, bla, We want our customers to receive a great experience with us at all times bla, bla, bla"

I hope Universal Hyundai chooses to promptly corrects their mistakes and doesn't just offer a canned, corporate, feel-good online response that just makes them look good to the public.

Come on Universal Hyundai..... Do the right thing and disclose to your new car buyers that you may NOT be able to repair their new 2020 Sonata for 60 days if it breaks while driving it home from the dealership.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    N&R, Feb 13, 2020
  2. N&R

Gx3Mom

Any update to your situation now that we're mid April?

Gx3Mom, Apr 15, 2020
  3. N&R

Bquinn13

Hello. I just bought a sonata 3 days ago and my problems are identical. They keep asking if it was in sports mode, it wasn't-_-
    It happened today and then once I drove up there it didn't happen. Did yours happen then not happen?

Bquinn13, May 13, 2020
  4. N&R

JohnyBlacks

Sonata is one big problem man.

JohnyBlacks, Jun 1, 2020
Ask a Question