2020 Sonata won't accelerate with 195 miles on the odometer

Discussion in 'Hyundai Sonata' started by N&R, Feb 5, 2020.

1. N&R

N&R

4 days ago, I leased a brand new 2020 Sonata Limited with the 1.9 turbo, with 121 miles on the odometer. Today, when I was driving on the freeway on cruise control at 65 mph, the car started sputtering and the speed started decreasing. I had to pull over. The engine was running really rough. I'm still on the same tank of gas that the dealership provided. I store my car on a locked garage, and I'm the only one who has driven it. No problems with the car until today. It can't be gasoline contamination, as the car was running perfectly since I leased the car.

I turned off the car, restarted it, and attempted to accelerate. The car would only accelerate to 25-30mph, even with the throttle on the floor. It didn't matter what gear I was in, the car seemed like it had very little power. The car slowed to 20 mph with full throttle during a very slight incline.

I stopped, pulled over, shut the car off, and restarted the car several times. Same issues. the car won't go over 25-30mph in any gear.

I called my Hyundai sales rep, and he made an appointment to have my car brought in the next afternoon. I'll be without my new leased 2020 Sonata until at least tomorrow afternoon. Not the service I would have expected. I would have expected to have been asked to bring the car in that day. New leased car with less than 200 miles on the odometer.

I'm just documenting this here in the event there are others with similar issues.

Universal Hyundai
    12801 South Orange Blossom Trail Orlando FL 32837

N&R, Feb 5, 2020
  2. N&R

avisitor

Just in case .... Note the Lemon law in your part of the world.
    This way you have an idea of what they need to do and you are not taken advantage of.

avisitor, Feb 6, 2020
  3. N&R

N&R

Update: After waiting in the Service Waiting Room for 3 hours, 6 days ago.... the Service Center finally told me that they couldn't fix my new car because...... as they said..... I have a brand new 2020 Sonata, and they don't have the diagnostic codes or the parts to fix it.

So..... Hyundai is selling new cars that they can't diagnose or fix?

They gave me a cheap loaner to use while they figure out what they're going to do next.

They've had my new 2020 Sonata Limited for 6 days, and I haven't heard a peep from them.

Stay Tuned!

Universal Hyundai
    12801 South Orange Blossom Trail Orlando FL 32837

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    N&R, Feb 11, 2020
  4. N&R

N&R

Universal Hyundai 12801 South Orange Blossom Trail Orlando FL called me today and said that they wouldn't have my car fixed until the end of April!!!!!

Let me say that again...... They're going to keep my brand new 2020 Sonata parked at Universal Hyundai for 60 days while they wait for a part that hasn't been made yet.

They gave me a loaner last week. I'm not permitted to take the loaner out of the State, not permitted to carry my dogs in the car, and my wife isn't permitted to drive the loaner. They said that they needed a part that hasn't been made yet because the car is "too new".

In Florida, when the service department has the car for more than 14 days, it's eligible for replacement or refund under Florida's Lemon Law.

The 2020 Hyundai Sonata has been nominated for Car of the Year, but now that they're going to make me file a Lemon Law claim on this car, all over a temp sensor that they can simply 'borrow' from another Sonata.

Now the 2020 Sonata will be labeled a Lemon. Way to go Hyundai Politics!

N&R, Feb 12, 2020
  5. N&R

N&R

Universal Hyundai called me again today. Not the service manager or the general manger, a service guy called me to give me the toll free number to where I could file a Hyundai Consumer Affairs report.

I called them and they took a report. Very nice person. In fact everyone at Universal Hyundai has been very personable. They told me that someone would call me in one week. In one week Universal Hyundai would have had my brand new car for 14 days, which would make the car eligible for a buyback under the Florida Lemon Law.

What amazes me most, is that I purchased a new Genesis G80 3 years ago from Universal Hyundai, and just leased a loaded 2020 Sonata limited from them, and I can’t even get a call back from the Service Manager or the General Manager, just out of common professional courtesy.

The General Manager and the Service Manager at Universal Hyundai 12801 South Orange Blossom Trail Orlando, must be too important to talk to me. I’m just a customer.

I’m posting this on YELP because there’s apparently no other way for me to contact the GM or Service manager to get some real help, and..... I’m just a customer anyway... and customers are apparently a dime-a dozen at Universal Hyundai.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    N&R, Feb 12, 2020
  6. N&R

Gx3Mom

What makes you think it's the temp sensor?

Gx3Mom, Apr 15, 2020
  7. N&R

Aries17

Did you contact a lemon law lawyer?

Aries17, May 31, 2021
Ask a Question