'96 Accent Transaxle woes

Discussion in 'Hyundai Accent' started by Bill, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Bill

Bill Guest

Recently, my car has lost it's ability to move in reverse. The shift selector moves into gear, but
    when given gas, it simple stays put as if in park. Now my moms car a few years back had a
    similiar problem, but they difference between that problem and my current one, is that her car
    could be pushed backwards (many a time did I have to push that heavy Grand Le Mans) where
    mine can't. Also, I should add that when the vechicle is shifted into Neutral, it goes into Drive,
    but Drive also works. Overdrive being turned on causes the car to really lag.

A friend, who's mechanical inclination is no better than mine is speculating it may be a sensor
    problem which he doesn't believe should be too costly to replace. Then my father tends to think
    that it may be a sequential (?? - I am not sure if that is exactly what he said) prob and that would
    be very costly.

Pretty much... I was wondering if anyone else has any other ideas of how bad of shape I am
    in and how much it's going to take to fix it. This is our only car in a family of 4 so, we really
    can't afford to be without it for long, thusly i'm hoping that it is a problem that be quickly/ cheaply
    repaired.

If anyone needs any other details to help diagnose this, just ask and I'll do my best to provide.

Bill, Nov 20, 2003
  2. Bill

Craigel Guest

Bill-It sounds like you may have a linkage problem. If it is, it should be
    cheap.
    To check: Turn the key to the "on/run" position but don't start the car, have
    someone get behind the car to see if the reverse lights ever come on. Slowly
    shift the gear selector through the gears, making sure you also go slowly
    through the points in between gears. If the come on at any time but not when
    they should, your gear selector is telling you one thing but telling the
    transmission something else. A relatively quick adjustment and you should be on
    your way. Good luck.

Craigel, Nov 27, 2003
Ask a Question