97 Tiburon Steering

Discussion in 'Hyundai Coupe / Tiburon' started by SoDisco, Mar 26, 2015.

1. SoDisco

SoDisco

I've got a '97 Tiburon with 115,000 miles on it.
    -When you first start it up, the belt makes a chirping noise for 5-10 seconds. I sprayed wd40 behind the power steering pump pulley and the other pulley behind the alternator belt pulley. It helped for a short while, but not for long. The belt has been replaced and I think either the pump is going out or tension on pulley needs adjustment. I'm not really worried about that.

-The main problem I am experiencing is in the process of turning the steering wheel.
    It feels like it catches as you turn it, but only when the vehicle is "not moving." (power steering pump maybe?)
    -Also, the front end pops or clunks as you turn it...you hear it also when the vehicle is not moving. Mainly when you turn it left or right of center.
    -While driving, anytime you make a left turn, it feels like it tuns way too sharp and quick as though the tire was loose.
    Lugs are tight and wheel does not seem to move when you check it for freeplay so not sure if it a bearing issue. I do hear a light grinding so it very well could be though.

Any help with these issues would be awesome...

SoDisco, Mar 26, 2015
  2. SoDisco

louis gravel

ok, the alternator belt is driven by the engine. the power steering belt is driven by the alternator. so you need both belt to be tight.
    you need to replace the power steering fluid. find the lowest joint of the power steering return line and disconnect it. let all the oil drain, turn the steering right and left 5-6 time to drain much oil as you can, remove the reservoir, end make sure it is empty. make sure when you will re-start the car, turn again the steering many times to bleed all air. this will cure the steering issue for many years

louis gravel, Nov 13, 2015
Ask a Question