'99 Sonata P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor

Discussion in 'Hyundai Sonata' started by Sharkbait, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Sharkbait

Sharkbait

My 1999 Sonata 2.4L had a trouble code a few months back for the Crankshaft Position Sensor. I replaced it, having to remove the timing belt, and the car ran fine with no codes for about 3 months. Then the same code triggered again. I examined the new crankshaft sensor and found the plastic on the back near the wire entry to the sensor was broken away and melted slightly. I also noticed the magnetic piece in the sensor was missing.

I replaced the crankshaft sensor again and the car made it about 6 miles and then bogged out and died, unable to restart. I was able to restart the car after letting the engine cool down. The new codes that were triggered were P0340 for Camshaft position sensor and another for #4 cylinder misfire.

I was reading up that these issues might be caused by my engine running too hot. I noticed a leak on my radiator and the water level was low. I temporarily patched the leak in the Rad and replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor (I also temporarily removed the thermostat since it seemed to need replacement). After running the car for 20 minutes at high RPM the car bogged out again and triggered the same code P0340.

Could this be a problem with my ECU? I figured this probably wasn't the issue since it only seems to shut down at high temperatures.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go from here? Thanks

Sharkbait, Sep 1, 2014
  2. Sharkbait

Sharkbait

Forgot to mention I replaced the timing belt and water pump after I bought it. After installing the crank sensor it ran fine for 3 months and I've double checked the alignment and everything looks good so I don't think it's a timing belt issue.

Sharkbait, Sep 1, 2014
Ask a Question