Advice on Brake Wear

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by PhilAJ, Mar 1, 2021.

1. PhilAJ

PhilAJ

Hope someone can give me a bit of advice on what to do please, as I've just been asked to pay nearly £700 for new brakes, and I don't think it's fair;

I have an ionic Hatchback which was registered in August 2018, and initially used as a demonstrator for dealership.

First year / 10,000 miles service was done January 2019 - mileage was 10,165

I Purchased the car May 2019 Mileage was 13,349

2nd Year / 20,000 miles service done January 2020 - mileage was 16,760

3rd Year / 30,000 service just done in February - mileage 19,582.

At my service last week I was told that all 4 brake discs were corroded, dangerous and needed to be replaced, along with Pads, as they were 15% worn. Cost would be £694.

I have only done 6,000 miles in almost 2 years so felt this was a bit excessive, so I checked back on the service reports.

On the first service in 2019 - it states 'Both discs Good' - but pads were 10% worn. On the 2nd one - no mention of the brake discs other than a GREEN OK against them, but again 10% wear on pads.

Since the 2nd service the car has only done 2,800 miles - could the Discs really deteriorate to the level of dangerous??

The vehicle has a 5 year Warranty, with a brake exclusion that states;

Brake Friction linings (? I presume this means Discs does it?) - Coverage 24 months/20,000 miles ....should this cover them?

I'm not very up on car engineering - so apologise for so many questions - but any advice would be gratefully received.

Phil

PhilAJ, Mar 1, 2021
  2. PhilAJ

TurboRev

in all honesty the best bet is to follow what is suggested in your manual. following that, you have to figure out your own personal driving habits and where you drive and where you have driven. you will get 100 different answers because every driver is unique.

also, brakes are one of those things that need replacement every so often and its something we have to deal with money wise. but from your situation, yes its possible degradation can happen but i dont think that fast. especially if you are right about the miles in between services. maybe find a good deal online for brake pads? otherwise i cannot fully say if you need new ones or not. for me its always better to be safe than sorry

TurboRev, Mar 15, 2021
Ask a Question