Brake backing plate

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by Plague Boy, Jul 6, 2010.

  1. Plague Boy

    Plague Boy Guest

    Just finished ordering car parts, including the rear hub for my
    2002 Sonata.

    When I bought the car, the seller told me it made a noise from
    the rear, which he thought was the brakes. I replaced the
    calipers, pads, and rotors all around. When I got the rear
    passenger side apart, I found that it still made a noise even
    with all the brake components removed.

    The noise is a "rotating" noise, it varies with the speed of the
    car and does not occur when standing still. It does not vary when
    the brakes are applied.


    Anyhow, I presume that it is a problem with the hub/bearing
    assembly and I have ordered a replacement. I wish I had replaced
    it when I had the car apart <g>, but it was not on the agenda. I
    don't really know if this is a problem or not, but the noise
    affects my enjoyment of the car. Plus, I presume if this fails,
    it will probably be on a long trip or other most inopportune time<g>.

    When I was doing the brakes, I noticed that the steel plate on
    this wheel was damaged and rotted. I removed a loose piece since
    I thought maybe that was what was causing the noise. Since I am
    now about to take this whole assembly apart, I would like to
    replace this plate. However, I cannot find one on-line. I also
    don't know if this is called a "baking plate" or a "splash
    shield" or what. I'm guessing the Hyundai dealer can get it ($$$)
    or I will have to get a pre-rotted one from a junkyard :-(.

    Anybody have any helpful info, advice, parts sources, etc? Thanks!
    Plague Boy, Jul 6, 2010
    1. Advertisements

  2. Plague Boy

    hyundaitech Guest

    It's called a backing plate. Assuming the reference to calipers and
    rotors means you have disc brakes, the Hyundai part number for the
    passenger rear backing plate is 58252-38000.
    hyundaitech, Jul 7, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.