Clicking noise

Discussion in 'Hyundai Elantra / Lantra' started by YellowBird, Jan 5, 2020.

1. YellowBird

YellowBird

Hi All! I have a 2014 Hyundai Elantra w/70k miles on it. I've noticed a clicking noise coming from the steering column. I brought the car to the dealer and they said I had the wrong type of battery in it and to replace the battery with an AGM type battery. They ended up replacing the starter as I didn't want to pay over $200k for another battery. Car was fine until recently the clicking noise has come back and the car is having issues starting. It also tends to want to stall out when at a red light. I've researched and came across a video about replacing the crankshaft sensor to stop the car from stalling. Would the crank shaft sensor also have something to do with the clicking noise? OR I'm wondering if the battery does need to be changed out to the AGM type to prevent the clicking noise? Any advice would be appreciated...

YellowBird, Jan 5, 2020
  2. YellowBird

pmaspks

I'm unsure about your stalling out problem but I can comment about that steering column clicking noise. I've encountered it twice, first on a 2012 Sonata, then on a 2013 Elantra. Its caused by a worn steering coupler in the column box just above the floor board. It's difficult to get to and replace. The Sonata replacement was close to $700 to replace a $6.00 part. The Elantra started that clicking at just under 100k miles. It got worse as the miles added up, finally causing the car to lose control and leave the highway. Either get it fixed or dump the car before you lose your life.

pmaspks, Jun 13, 2021
Ask a Question