Elantra 2012 turns over but no start

Discussion in 'Hyundai Elantra / Lantra' started by dsful47, Jan 25, 2020.

1. dsful47

dsful47

Hello

This is first time on forum.
    The engine will turnover but will not start up. I replaced the coil packs and plugs. Did not help. Also the crankshaft sensor.
    I checked for spark at the plugs and got spark at each one. after about 15 seconds while stepping on the gas the whole time it sounds like it may be fixing to start then gives up. Then I give up.
    what can I try next?.

Thanks!

dsful47, Jan 25, 2020
  2. dsful47

avisitor

The basics are checking for spark, fuel, air, exhaust compression and timing
    You got spark. Now spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid to see if engine starts.
    If it does then fuel system issue. If not then something else.
    If it does start then check for injector pulse from ECU.
    Listen for fuel pump to prime fuel rail when key is first turned to the ON position.

If something else then search youtube for "no start diagnosis"
    That will help you understand the next few steps.

avisitor, Jan 26, 2020
  3. dsful47

dsful47

Thank you for your response. I did check the fuel pump I can here it coming on for about 3seconds when I turn the key to the ON position. I then sprayed some carburetor cleaner in the throttle body area but I noticed that when I had someone turn the key and then try to start it The flapper would never open Even when stepping on the gas. I mentioned that to someone at auto parts store they said I may have to change out the gas pedal.
    Thanks again!!

dsful47, Jan 26, 2020
  4. dsful47

avisitor

Did the engine ever try to start and run?
    The flapper or throttle plate never moved?
    Newer models may have a drive by wire system or the throttle cable may be busted??
    Check the fuses!!!!! Test light ... clip to ground and the probe tip to the two test points on the fuse
    If only one test point lights up the test light then blown fuse.

avisitor, Jan 26, 2020
  5. dsful47

dsful47

Hello
    Thank you for your response. The engine will turn over and then after about 10 seconds or so of non stop cranking
    it acts like it may be fixing to start but it does not. Correct... the throttle plate never moved. It may have opened a just a hair but that's it.

Thank you!

dsful47, Jan 26, 2020
  6. dsful47

twin4dave

Try changing the throttle position sensor. If that doesn't work I would get rid of that piece of junk...

twin4dave, Jan 26, 2020
Ask a Question