How to drain Elantra radiator?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Elantra / Lantra' started by Victek, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Victek

Victek Guest

I have a 2003 Elantra GLS and I'd like to change out the antifreeze.
    Unfortunately I'm having a weird problem where I cannot get images to
    display in hmaservice.com so maybe you can help? Does the radiator have an
    accessible, standard drain valve? Are any special tools needed?

Victek, Dec 6, 2007
  2. If the pictures don't show, you have to download the viewer. Look at the
    Site Requirements for the viewer available for free from Adobe. You also
    need Internet Explorer

Edwin Pawlowski, Dec 6, 2007
  3. Victek

Victek Guest

I have a 2003 Elantra GLS and I'd like to change out the antifreeze.
    Yes, the SVG viewer appears to install successfully and I am using internet
    explorer, but the graphics still don't display on hmaservice.com. I'm not
    sure what to do next. Meanwhile regarding the Elantra, do you know how to
    drain the radiator?

Victek, Dec 6, 2007
  4. Victek

Vic Garcia Guest

Bottom of radiator, driver side, really dark there, get a flashlight,
    use big phillips head screwdriver.

Vic Garcia, Dec 6, 2007
  5. Victek

Victek Guest

Victek wrote:
    I have a 2003 Elantra GLS and I'd like to change out the antifreeze. Unfortunately I'm having a weird problem where I cannot get images to display in hmaservice.com so maybe you can help? Does the radiator have an accessible, standard drain valve? Are any special tools needed?

If the pictures don't show, you have to download the viewer. Look at the Site Requirements for the viewer available for free from Adobe. You also need Internet Explorer

Yes, the SVG viewer appears to install successfully and I am using internet explorer, but the graphics still don't display on hmaservice.com. I'm not sure what to do next. Meanwhile regarding the Elantra, do you know how to drain the radiator?

Bottom of radiator, driver side, really dark there, get a flashlight, use big phillips head screwdriver.
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

Victek, Dec 6, 2007
  6. Victek

Victek Guest

Victek wrote:
    I have a 2003 Elantra GLS and I'd like to change out the antifreeze. Unfortunately I'm having a weird problem where I cannot get images to display in hmaservice.com so maybe you can help? Does the radiator have an accessible, standard drain valve? Are any special tools needed?

If the pictures don't show, you have to download the viewer. Look at the Site Requirements for the viewer available for free from Adobe. You also need Internet Explorer

Yes, the SVG viewer appears to install successfully and I am using internet explorer, but the graphics still don't display on hmaservice.com. I'm not sure what to do next. Meanwhile regarding the Elantra, do you know how to drain the radiator?

Bottom of radiator, driver side, really dark there, get a flashlight, use big phillips head screwdriver.

Are we talking about a large red plastic Phillips screw head that flush with it's socket? (It looks to be in the right position)

Regarding the issue of the SVG viewer and the HMAservice.com I have installed the viewer on three computers so far - one with Vista and the other two with XP SP2 - and the graphics will not display properly on any of them. If someone has a clue about how to fix this please speak up.

Victek, Dec 6, 2007
  7. Yes, Victek, the Elantra is one of THE simplest vehicles to change the radiator fluid I have ever seen. The "petcock" is a red plastic bolt at the bottom of the radiator. Once you look, it is hard to miss.

Make sure the car is cold, open up the radiator cap before you open it, and let it pour. While it is draining, remove the coolant recovery bottle, drain, clean, replace and refill it.

If only other vehicles were that easy.

Victek wrote:

Are we talking about a large red plastic Phillips screw head that flush with it's socket? (It looks to be in the right position)

Regarding the issue of the SVG viewer and the HMAservice.com I have installed the viewer on three computers so far - one with Vista and the other two with XP SP2 - and the graphics will not display properly on any of them. If someone has a clue about how to fix this please speak up.

Rev. Tom Wenndt, Dec 7, 2007
  8. Victek

Victek Guest

Thanks for the confirmation. I've worked on older cars and am used to seeing a petcock valve, so I just wanted to be sure beforehand.

Yes, Victek, the Elantra is one of THE simplest vehicles to change the radiator fluid I have ever seen. The "petcock" is a red plastic bolt at the bottom of the radiator. Once you look, it is hard to miss.

Make sure the car is cold, open up the radiator cap before you open it, and let it pour. While it is draining, remove the coolant recovery bottle, drain, clean, replace and refill it.

If only other vehicles were that easy.

Victek, Dec 8, 2007
  9. Victek

Deck Guest

I also have an 03 Elantra and didn't have any problem draining the
    radiator, just take out the red bolt!

Deck, Dec 10, 2007
Ask a Question