HVAC Fan Speed Flucuation

Discussion in 'Hyundai Sonata' started by Manny Lee, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Manny Lee

Manny Lee

2017 Sonata Sport with 2.4 HVAC fan speed fluctuates. Took delivery of the car in July. When I have the AC on during a hot day and I take my foot off the gas, the car slows down to say 28, the AC cabin fan speed increases. It is not a slight increase but sounds like the speed was turn up to the next level. Very annoying and distracting. Dealer could not duplicate problem because the weather is now cold. Anyone out there experiencing this on their 2017 Sonata with the 2.4 and base HVAC system??

Manny Lee, Nov 6, 2017
  2. Manny Lee

avisitor

The newer cars sometimes have what is known as a smart alternator
    There isn't anything smart about it. It just tries to save gas by not charging the battery all the time
    So there can be intermittent spikes of power when the system is turned back on.
    This is probably what you're experiencing. The off and on of the alternator.
    The only thing that can be done is to have a bigger capacity battery to handle the load.
    And it may still be there. Modern tech for you.

avisitor, Nov 6, 2017
  3. Manny Lee

Manny Lee

Yes, the more they try to do with increasing mpg, the more problems they create. Hope I can find a way to bypass it or else I will be getting rid the car. Very disappointing to buy a new car and have this problem. It never crossed my mind when test driving a car to check out if there is any HVAC fan speed fluctuation!!

Manny Lee, Nov 7, 2017
Ask a Question