Hyundai Elantra Touring Cruise Control Shuts Off Without Warning

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by fortinlgf, Jan 8, 2020.

1. fortinlgf

fortinlgf

My 2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring has been operating flawlessly for years. Now it is at about 185,000 kms on the odometer. Recently, the cruise control has started to shut OFF without warning - not just slipping out of cruise control..... it shuts completely OFF and the control lights in the steering wheel go out. And now, more recently, it hardly stays engaged and ON for more than a couple of minutes.... then, without any other indicator, it shuts OFF completely. I had a local talented mechanic (not the dealership) take a look and he tells me there are no error codes, and no obvious issues under the hood, and has no explanation why this is happening. Any ideas?

fortinlgf, Jan 8, 2020
  2. fortinlgf

avisitor

Take a can of brake clean or WD-40 and spray the cruise control switch
    Work the switch and see if that helps.

avisitor, Jan 9, 2020
  3. fortinlgf

fortinlgf

I understand WD-40 [and similar products] are simply not suitable for electrical connections (contains water and does not really make connections better), but your suggestion to try a spray lead me to a Radio Shack electrical connection lubricant than might be worth a try. I'll report on my results.

fortinlgf, Jan 9, 2020
  4. fortinlgf

avisitor

The letters WD in WD-40 means "water displacement"
    WD-40 is not a lubricant
    It was made to remove water.
    The idea was to clean up the contacts to see if that helps
    Good luck

avisitor, Jan 10, 2020
  5. fortinlgf

themusicstore

My wifes 2008 has exactly the same problem. Were you ever able to resolve the problem?

themusicstore, Aug 16, 2021
  6. fortinlgf

fortinlgf

Have not been able to track down the problem - so we remain without Cruise Control.

fortinlgf, Aug 16, 2021
  7. fortinlgf

2011HYUNDAIELANTRATOURING

I also have a 2011 Touring with the exact same problem!

2011HYUNDAIELANTRATOURING, Apr 5, 2022
  8. fortinlgf

Nmak05

Me too. Did you ever get it fixed?

Nmak05, May 22, 2022
  9. fortinlgf

fortinlgf

Nope. We remain without Cruise Control.

fortinlgf, May 22, 2022
  10. fortinlgf

Kelvin

My Hyundai Elantra switch off while am driving

Kelvin, Jun 2, 2022
  11. fortinlgf

Talila

I have a 2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring with same cruise control issues (it completely shuts off going down the road). Has anyone found an answer?

Talila, Apr 20, 2023
  12. fortinlgf

fortinlgf

Have not found the cause of the problem. Still no Cruise Control for us.

fortinlgf, Apr 20, 2023
  13. fortinlgf

Jfreitas62

I have a 2009 Elantra Touring 97435 miles, about a six month ago the Cruise Control started turning off after I set the speed, now thirty seconds after turning it on it turns off, flat level highway, downgrade up a slight grade it's gotten annoying, mechanic thinks I'm nuts

Jfreitas62, Nov 1, 2023
  14. fortinlgf

fortinlgf

My first post on this thread was back in January 2020 - to report the failure of the cruise control. I have not been able to get a fix for this. However, since that failure there have been other odd things happening with the vehicle. While pressing certain buttons on the radio, the air vent system will change from defrost to cabin mode..... it is intermittent, but my tests show it will happen after several attempts to recreate the issue. There is definitely something wrong in the wiring somewhere.

fortinlgf, Nov 1, 2023
  15. fortinlgf

morty427

My web search of "hyundai touring cruise control turns off" has lead me to this thread.

Just adding my 2011 Touring also has this problem.

However, I also have other issues, which may or may not be related, but are all electrical problems:
    -My hatchback door will not open or lock
    -My license plate lights do not work
    -My cabin lights do not come on

When attempting to troubleshoot my hackback door, I noticed the fuse was slightly brown'ish. So when I grabbed the "spare" 15a fuse, it too was slightly brown'ish.

I noticed a couple years ago, on winter mornings when I turn on the vehicle, sometimes the rear defrost button does not come on (pressing button and light does not come on). But after the car has been running for anywhere between 10-60 seconds, the rear defrost starts to work (meaning, now when I press the button, it lights up and rear defrost is working).

I recently had a daytime running light replaced (did not know it was out). And in 2 months, it needs to be replaced again (I did not do this job, so its also possible it was bad bulb, or was touched, or other non-electrical problem).

Not sure if this is related either, but Ive had my stereo speakers cut out for a while. I took the headset out and inspected the back for any signs of bad connections but was not able to see any. Anyhow, the stereo use to cut out frequently, and when it did, I use to just hit the dash just above the radio controls (like physically bang it with my fist) and the speakers came back on. That has been my fix for a while. But lately, the past 6 months or so, the stereo (speakers) seems to be working just fine.

I am not a car guy. But, I do have some interest in learning how things work. No idea if these other issues are related in any way, just adding as much extra info as I can about my 2011 Hyundai Touring cruise control problem.

morty427, Nov 29, 2023
Ask a Question