Hyundai i 20 engine rattle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Midnight_Star62, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Midnight_Star62

Midnight_Star62

I noticed that my daughters cars was making quite a loud rattling noise from the top left hand side of engine this noise did not get quiet when engine warmed up. I removed rocker box cover as I thought noise is timing chain and on inspection I noticed chain was loose when it should be under tension. My daughter went to an independent garage who agreed with problem and wanted £660 to complete work and also Hyundai quoted £800. I purchased the parts Chain, 3 off Chain Guides and a New Tensioner from Hyundai £218 and I have removed old parts 2 hours work and I will fit new parts tomoro. The car has done 100.000 miles and the chain has stretched beyond the tensioners capacity so the chain is flopping around and rubbing cover. I will post an update when completed.

Midnight_Star62, Apr 20, 2019
  2. Midnight_Star62

avisitor

Thanks for the information
    I am sure it may help someone else

avisitor, Apr 20, 2019
  3. Midnight_Star62

Midnight_Star62

I have now refitted new guides and tensioner and chain, the guides and tensioner were ok they hardly had any wear the main fault was after 100.000 the chain had really stretched. The car now run really quiet.

Midnight_Star62, Apr 25, 2019
  4. Midnight_Star62

avisitor

Great work
    Thanks for the update

avisitor, Apr 25, 2019
Ask a Question