Im Puzzled! Can anyone help??

Discussion in 'Hyundai Elantra / Lantra' started by knox2225, Aug 19, 2014.

1. knox2225

knox2225

Hello all, I have been searching and searching for information and have come up with no definitive answers, I thank you guys for your help ahead of time!

History: 2005 hyundai elantra 2.0 gls cvvt 115k miles, it was given to me because it didnt run. I determined by owners story and my tests that it overheated and blew a head gasket. (I determined this by a compression test and then a leak down test). So I removed the cylinder head and all components such as valves, seals, cams, etc. I had the head pressure tested and resurfaced at the machine shop. I tested the block surface with a precision straight edge and feeler gauges, the block was in spec. I got the head back and lapped the valves and then put everything back together with a felpro head gasket kit, a new thermostat, radiator, plugs, and wires. Everything went together smooth. I checked the timing on the crank and cams multiple times. I lined the crank timing mark up with "tdc" on the lower timing cover and lined the exhaust cam up with the hole in the exhaust cam sprocket and red mark behind it, I then lined the intake cam up by placing its timing mark up and also it being seven chain links from the exhaust cams timing mark on the cvvt. I hand turned the crank twice and rechecked my timing, it all lined up.So I went to start the car and it just cranked and cranked, no sputter, nothing, just cranking. So I checked spark and fuel pressure, both are good. So I then tried to start it using starter fluid and still got nothing but cranking...I rechecked compression and all cylinders were zero psi, I did a leak down on cylinder 1 at top dead center (I rechecked top dead center by removing the plug and used a wooden dowl to confirm tdc on cylinder 1, it confirmed my original tdc setting was correct also) and air is leaking out the intake manifold...So I was thinking of my only mistake I made throughout this whole process (that I know of) was that when I first removed the head and was taking it apart, I flipped It over and the mla buckets fell all over and I lost track of what buckets went to what cylinder. :eek: Could putting buckets in the wrong place cause a no start condition by holding open valves when they should be closed? I was told they were all same size and it shouldnt matter.Also, should the intake and exhaust lobes be exactly opposite? I.e. when the exhaust cam lobes on cylinder 1 are pointing at 6 oclock, the intake cam lobes will point at 12 oclock??*Im sorry for my novel of a thread, I just want to be clear and give all necessary info. Thanks again for any and all help, I really appreciate it. One other thing I noticed when doing the leak down test this last time with cylinder 1 at TDC, it looks as if the intake cam lobe is pressing down the valves just barely. Which would make sense that I get leaking out of the exhaust manifold. Shouldn't the intake and exhaust valves be completely closed when the cylinder is at tdc? Im going crazy, it seems like a timing issue with the intake cam but Ive quadruple checked it and its exactly to hyundai instructions. Does anyone have any ideas in what to try next?:confused:

knox2225, Aug 19, 2014
Ask a Question