Need help with car air conditioner..

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by carairconditionersmail, Jun 12, 2007.

1. carairconditionersmail, Jun 12, 2007
  2. the_andrew_smith, Jun 12, 2007
  3. carairconditionersmail

Guest Guest

Guest, Jun 12, 2007
  4. carairconditionersmail

Tom Adkins Guest

I finally checked out this "Blog". I'm reading along about theory, descriptions of
    various parts, etc. thinking, "Hmm, this really isn't bad. Looks like a good place to
    refer a beginner".
    That was until I came to the sections about charging the system and Retrofitting the
    system. It then became obvious that this site is nothing more than an advertisement
    for f***ing Interdynamics!! That's the major manufacturer of AC "Death Kits" sold in
    chain parts stores like AutoZone.
    There is no mention of checking\replacing the metering device, flushing, evacuation,
    leak detection, etc. Just "Connect the handy hose on our product Here", sealers,
    boosters and all! Your AC will work like new.
    This kind of shoddy advertising and marketing just makes me ill. I make a ton of
    money repairing the damage Interdynamics products do to systems in the hands of people
    with no AC experience. The flashy advertising lulls them into believeing that they
    only need to spend $30 to fix the problem that the "ripoff" AC shop said would cost
    $300. They learn too late that the $30 fix is now going to cost $1000.
    There are a number of "tightasses" out there who can afford to have the system fixed
    properly, but will not. When their system fails as a result of using these products, I
    feel a bit bad but will gladly take their money to fix it right. Hopefully they
    learned a lesson.
    It's the other segment of Interdynamics target customer that I truly feel bad for,
    and feel the worst about being the bearer of bad news. The folks on a limited income
    who can least afford to lose even $30 to these sham artists, much less an added $500+
    to their repair bill. They try these junk fixes due to believing the flashy labelling,
    professional looking website, and lack of proper instructions.
    It's truly disgusting!!

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy making money. The larger the amount the better. But I
    don't like to make money off the backs of people who have been screwed over by
    predatory marketing like this.

Tom Adkins, Jun 12, 2007
  5. That's what it looked like to me, too. Most of the writeup was okay (not as
    good as http://www.autoacsystems.com/_faqs/detail/quick.html), but the
    marketing part is no favor to anybody.

Mike

Michael Pardee, Jun 13, 2007
  6. carairconditionersmail

Tom Adkins Guest

You are correct, www.autoacsystems.com is a great site. The FAQ section is excellent
    for DIYers that aren't familiar with servicing their AC system. Straight, correct
    answers and no marketing. Myself, I'm partial to www.autoacforum.com. There's a great
    bunch of guys there, many of them MVAC professionals, who are always willing to help a
    DIYer fix their AC (the right way). The site sponsor, Arizona Mobile Air, is a great
    supplier of MVAC parts and equipment at excellent prices and excellent quality. (I'm
    not connected to AMA, just a happy customer).

I have a bit of a personal problem with Interdynamics, as well as my professional
    side being offended by their shoddy products. I can't count the times that, when I
    quote $400-600 for a proper R-134a retrofit, I hear "But I can buy the kit for $40,
    and my buddy used it with no problem". Even though I know the answer, it's hard to
    argue with what they may have seen someone else do. I've been called a crook too many
    times. For every non-failure when using those kits (I refuse to call it a sucess) I
    see 5 or more people who weren't as lucky.
    It's the same with their "recharge kits" and other magic in a can products. The
    customer says "Nah, I don't want to spend $200 to fix the leak and recharge the AC on
    my 10 year old car. I'll just add some sealer and charge it myself for $20". They then
    come back 2 weeks later with the compressor knocking, or grenaded, and and look at me
    like I'm the bad guy when I tell them it's going to cost close to $1K to fix it right.
    I charge $150 on top of all else if I detect sealer in an AC system. The refrigerant
    is not recyclable(I have to pay to dispose of it) and I've had one machine damaged to
    the tune of $1K by that garbage.
    The bad part is, I do MVAC as a sideline to make a few extra bucks in the summer.(My
    "real" job is a Network Administrator) I enjoy AC repair and also do electrical
    repair, yeah I'm a masochist. :) I don't have the overhead of most independent shops
    and can do the work "cheap" in my garage. I can't even imagine what the "real" shops
    go through with this crap.

Tom Adkins, Jun 13, 2007
  7. I have a clue: outside of dealerships that have to do A/C, we have only one
    shop left in our college town of 50K people that still does auto A/C. Some
    of that is undoubtedly because of equipment costs to conform to modern
    requirements, but I'm sure the hassles you describe are a factor.

I fancy I have a good feel for when I have a handle on a situation and when
    it is walking all over me. I felt good about R12 and I felt lost when I
    tried recharging R134a. Others may feel differently.

I understand your distinction between "non-failure" and "success." Just
    because something works similar to the way it was designed to doesn't mean
    it is working right.

Mike

8. Ah! Thanks for the link, Tom. A few of the topics explained my trouble with
    trying to recharge "by ear" and thermostat/guage: the system response is
    very slow. Much was made of the need to go slowly (we were adding about an
    ounce per minute steadily and not allowing the system nearly enough time to
    settle) and the ease of overcharging when doing this. Theoretically, the add
    and check process will work with enough cooling of the condensor - the
    article recommended a wind tunnel! Doing it by weight makes a lot more
    sense.

Mike

9. carairconditionersmail

Tom Adkins Guest

Mike,
    I'm glad it helped and you got the answers you needed. That's what that the
    contributors there try for.
    I missed the "wind tunnel" reference, but the cooler you can make the condenser, the
    better the system will cycle added refrigerant (stabilize).
    Charging "by ear" can work once you develop a "feel" for it. That's how I do it (I
    always use a scale for accuracy and reference it to verify or tweak my "feel"). The
    big problem in a public forum is how to describe to someone how you "feel" the system
    is fully charged. It's like trying to describe "how tight is snug? or how much is
    "just a little bit".
    Yup, doing it "by weight" is the easiest, most accurate way.
    Keep reading, there's lots of good "nitty gritty" information there.
    While you're doing that, I'm going to re-familiarize myself with
    www.autoacsystems.com. Last time I was there, the site was really new. They've added a
    lot more content since then. Thanks for the reminder.

Tom

Tom Adkins, Jun 13, 2007
  10. carairconditionersmail

Tom Adkins Guest

You may be right. I can't say that I would shut down my "cottage business" due to
    hassles caused by Interdynamics products, but they certainly add to the frustration.
    The "real" AC repair shops likely deal with it as a part of doing business.
    That one shop in your town that still does AC would likely be more affected by
    customer perception (caused by ID products?) than by compliance issues. The
    requirement to have a certain machine hurts initially, but usually pays for itself
    quickly if the shop is busy. This is, of course, assuming that the shop specializes in
    Heating/ Cooling repairs and is not a "general" shop that does MVAC too. Small local
    "repair" shops really labor under the regulations for MVAC service. That's why many
    don't do it these days.

I too have a good feel for when a situation is walking all over me. I can always
    spot it starting "back there somewhere". ;) This is especially true in my personal
    life. I have 2 teen daughters that I adore, and 2 ex-wives that...well..., God grant
    me the serenity... :eek:

Tom Adkins, Jun 13, 2007
  11. carairconditionersmail

Fred W Guest

Tom Adkins wrote:

Pardon my barging in on a perfectly good AC repair thread, but...
    You don't need serenity, Tom. You need to stop marrying women that you
    can't get along with.

I'll let you in on a little secret: There are ways to get laid without
    marrying the bitches. ;-)

Fred W, Jun 13, 2007
  12. carairconditionersmail

Dean Dark Guest

As I once heard somewhere: Why get married? Just find a woman you
    hate and buy her a house.

Dean Dark, Jun 13, 2007
  13. carairconditionersmail

Tom Adkins Guest

:) Very true.

Tom Adkins, Jun 13, 2007
  14. Over the counter Freon recharge kits should be banned ; ill bet theres
    been some lawsuits, but, evidentally, not enough. Us guys in the HVAC
    trade have to be certified to handle refrigerants and most have us have
    graduated from a 2-4 year Trade School. Yet consumers can buy and
    dispense it into their cars a/c system without knowing anything about
    the danger, how to determine correct charge, how to purge air from the
    hoses, et al ??? Something is very very wrong here.

Dave in Lake Villa, Jun 13, 2007
  15. Tom,

This was the entry about charging empirically (best with a wind tunnel):
    http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=11887

What never even crossed my mind, using my R12 experience, was that the
    condensor pressure behavior actually marks the full charge point. I imagine
    you are able to cut some corners on the settling time because the condensor
    pressure plateaus just before full charge is reached (ibid). An experienced
    eye would catch that, but somebody with my level of experience wouldn't have
    known what to look for.

Mike

Michael Pardee, Jun 14, 2007
Ask a Question