Noise from pwr steering belt

Discussion in 'Hyundai Elantra / Lantra' started by wizard, Nov 1, 2018.

1. wizard

wizard

My 2004 Elantra GT has a worsening squeal that sounds like the power steering belt slipping. Bought the car used from a car dealer this past summer. At that time they installed all new belts .. I've checked and all the belts do indeed look new.

Problem: as the weather recently got colder the squealing starts on the first start of the day. It only makes the noise for about 30 seconds and stops. After that there is no problem until it is again started "cold" the next morning. It seems to be getting worse the colder it gets.

I've checked the belt tension and it's fine. One morning I was able to confirm it was the belt and not a pulley by squirting some water on the belt which stopped the noise immediately. When it is making the noise, moving the steering wheel changes the noise .. So I"m positive it's the pwr steering belt.

I've read that some replacement belts are problematical with some cars and my question is which brand belt should I buy? Pulley alignment is fine, and I've checked just about everything. I even sprayed the belt with a belt conditioner that stopped the noise, but the next cold morning it was back again.

wizard, Nov 1, 2018
  2. wizard

wizard

FWIW, this morning after a week of sub 40 degree days and subsequent noisy belt on first start, the temperature warmed up to 60 + degrees. And the belt is silent - no squeal.

wizard, Nov 1, 2018
  3. wizard

avisitor

Have heard that when there is a power steering belt noise that the alternator belt needs to be tightened.
    I know it doesn't make sense but, it has worked for me.

avisitor, Nov 1, 2018
Ask a Question