P0449 on an out of warranty Sonata

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by butler, Jul 9, 2011.

1. butler

butler

Hi All,

I have a 2009 Sonata (base model) with about 60,400 miles (just out of warranty). :mad: My check engine light came on, I drove for about 25 miles or so and it went away. I still took it to a shop to get the code reading, it came back as "P0449 - EVAP Vent Valve Solenoid Circuit". Guy at the shop told me I can continue to drive without any issues but I should get it checked with a dealer. The engine check light is not on anymore.

I took it the dealer and they told me they will charge me $145 to run another diagnostic (they can not use the one I have from Auto Zone). And then on top of that, whatever they need to do, they will charge for that. And since I am out of warranty (barely) I will have to pay out of my pocket.

Now, my question is, can I get this fixed from a non-dealer. If yes, how much will it cost to get this fixed? How critical is it and can I wait a bit to get this fixed?

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks all for reading and replying.

- B

butler, Jul 9, 2011
  2. butler

10acimport

The OBD2 test code from autozone was enough.

I once worked at a Hyundai dealership as a salesman.
    The owner said 80 percent of the money brought in was on non warranty repairs.
    You have time.
    Find an honest knowledgeable repairman.Check yahoo,yelp and google ratings.

10acimport, Dec 12, 2011
Ask a Question