Power Liftgate replacement

Discussion in 'Hyundai Santa Fe' started by DCH, Sep 17, 2023.

1. DCH

DCH

Report on replacing the power cylinders for 2018 Santa Fe Sport 2T

1. Discussions and videos on the web convinced me that my power cylinders were bad.

2. Costs at local Hyundai dealer were about $1,000 each with diagnostic check being first $185 and the labor to put them in... I didn't even ask.

3. It was nearly impossible to find the ”2T” label on replacement (not OEM) cylinders I found on the web, but there were lots of regular Santa Fe ones with costs being around $100 to $200.

4. I found a pair on ebay for a good price that did say matched 2T, so I took a chance and bought them.

5. I also called the service manager at Hyundai and he said that even if they were actually for the regular Santa Fe, they should work fine as there was no difference. (Why does Hyundai have separate part numbers then!!!)

6. They went in fine, but there is a lot of stuff to remove in the back to get them in. I did not completely remove the side panel or the headliner as by just removing the areas closest to the plug in cable I was able to, with difficulty, stick my hand in and unplug it and plug the new cable in. I was probably lucky to not break anything, so it might be best to completely remove these panels.

7. Again, some engineer really made things difficult by putting the through hole for the cable several inches back and inside that is nearly impossible to get to and wrap the cable around and back to the inside unless you remove the entire panel and the entire headliner, but I was just able to do it. Also, why did that engineer make the hole so small!!! With a larger hole I could of tied a string to the old cable and pulled it through.

8. Be careful of the sticky black substance on the weather seals getting all over everything!

9. So far all is good. The new cylinders are working fine, but one thing I noticed is that instead of three beeps, they start working on just two. I’ll see if I can find out what is happening there, but that seems really minor for now.

DCH, Sep 17, 2023
Ask a Question