Removal of automatic transmission Elantra XD 2001-2006

Discussion in 'Hyundai Elantra / Lantra' started by Xtech12, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Xtech12

Xtech12

This I know is usually done by lowering the sub frame and supporting the tail of the engine. (I've done a few, as well as the recalls on the rotted sub frames and lower tables)
    I am now faced with this job once again and do not have this option. (No access to a lift, only a cherry picker/eng hoist)
    There are a few questions I have since I've never done it this way.
    1. Can the transmission be pulled out separately or do I require the complete removal as one unit (Engine and transmission)
    2. Can I unbolt the a/c compressor and use mechanic's wire to tie it up or must I drain/evacuate the system and then go somewhere to have it refilled?
    I am aware of all the other connections and used to be a tech for Hyundai, I just never pulled a transmission, I've always lowered it from the bottom.
    Some insight would be great as I will be doing this job on Saturday and have 2 cars to do this to. (One being the donor car)
    I'm also considering swapping out the tcm as this is the second time I've had the exact same problem and the need to replace the transmission. My differential basically blew up and this is after having banging into gear from park to rev or drive. Followed by poor shifting and slipping later on.
    Both input and output sensors were replaced and there is no evidence of rodent damage to the harness. (codes p0700, p0732, and in the end p0733) The original blew up at 231,000km in my 2005 model year just driving home from work and chewed up the end of my right axle, the transmission was replaced with one from a 2001 that had 131,000 on it. Was I just unlucky?
    The now to be installed one is again from a 2001 with only 63,000km.
    Thanks for any information you may offer.

Xtech12, Jul 23, 2015
  2. Xtech12

Xtech12

Not much action in this forum is there?

Xtech12, Jul 25, 2015
  3. Xtech12

fixingstill

Xtech12, did you end up hoisting just the tranny out or you have to drop the subframe and the tranny from the bottom? I am replacing the tranny of a 2015 Elantra SE 18.L.

fixingstill, Jan 1, 2020
  4. Xtech12

avisitor

Yeah, not much action here. There were a few knowable people.
    But, been quiet.

As for doing the tranny,, difficult without a lift
    Good luck to you

avisitor, Jan 2, 2020
  5. Xtech12

fixingstill

Ok. Let me answer my question. For at least 2015 Elantra SE 1.8L, there is a non-removable bracket on the driver side frame rail, making it impossible to hoist tranny up. Good thing is that you don't need to remove the subframe when you drop the tranny. With all the right tools, 3 hrs 2 guys, we got the tranny out. Tomorrow will finish the install.

IMG_20200101_180524.jpg

This is the non-removable bracket:

IMG_20200101_180535.jpg

fixingstill, Jan 2, 2020
Ask a Question