Reset OD Button?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Accent' started by mdiemer, Apr 30, 2015.

1. mdiemer

mdiemer Guest

I have a 2000 Accent with auto transmission, 168,000 miles . No tranny maintenance ever done on it, unfortunately. The only problem is that the OD button is "stuck" in the off position. The history of this problem is thus:

for a while I had trouble changing from OD on to OD off mode. I would jiggle the stick shift and eventually it would change. Then it stopped changing altogether. Unfortunately, it got "stuck" in OD off mode, so the car won't shift anymore into 4th gear. I've been driving it carefully since then, trying to keep the rpm's under 2500, 3000 max. Also switched to Pennzoil.

I would like to get it back into OD on mode, so all gears are available. Is there a way to reset it? For example, could I jump the wires somehow to get it to change back?

I love the car and want to run it as long as possible, but am afraid I'm hurting both tranny and engine by not using overdrive.

Thanks, Mike

mdiemer, Apr 30, 2015
  2. mdiemer

mdiemer Guest

A little more info on this problem:

I'm assuming that a wire is broken somewhere. that would explain why there was a period where I could get it to work by jiggling the gear shifter. I did disassemble the switch and try jumping the wires, but no luck. Which leads me to believe that the break is farther down.

So, should I disassemble the whole gear shifter? Or is there a way to get at the wire before it goes to the tranny? Or is the wire not accessible?

mdiemer, May 1, 2015
  3. mdiemer

mdiemer Guest

No takers, huh? alright, I guess I'll just jump in and see what I can do.

mdiemer, Jun 27, 2015
Ask a Question