runs on two cylinders, blowing ECU, no spark

Discussion in 'Hyundai Accent' started by hamlet_jones, Mar 3, 2013.

1. hamlet_jones

hamlet_jones

I picked up a 2001, not running. Receipts show replacement of timing belt.
    I checked the compression, all cylinders over 225 psi. I have the factory shop manual.

I got it running on two cylinders, on two separate occasions. The two cylinders on the passenger side, #1 & #2 were firing. The exhaust manifold on #3 & #4 was cold, so those two cylinders were dead.

On the first try, I kept my foot on it to keep it running a couple minutes, then slowly lifted to see if it would idle. The car died, then would not restart.
    I found that the square 20 Amp E.C.U. fuse had blown, so got a couple more at the store the next day, and I replaced it this morning. The other smaller 10A & 15A E.C.U. fuses, both the two under the hood and the one inside the passenger compartment are all good (and still are).

I started it briefly again, and it idled on two cylinders, 1 & 2. I started checking for spark at 3 & 4, didn't see any, monkeyed around as a one man spark jockey, looking over the door to see if the spark was snapping off the screwdriver at 3 & 4, back and forth bullsh/t, looked like no spark at 3 & 4, but that don't make sense, then, I somehow blew another 20A E.C.U. fuse, and stopped for lunch.

I replaced the E.C.U. fuse again, but this time I have no spark, nada. I checked the Engine Control Relay under the dash, and it checks out. (I jumped around it, cranked, but no spark.) With the key on, I checked for voltage at the first injector, which read 8.9v, with a battery voltage reading of 12.6v. I thought I should have at least 12v at the terminus of the injector harness for confirmation of PCM health?

I believe I have two problems, the one causing only two cylinders to fire (injectors?) and now, a second and pressing problem of no spark at any cylinder!

hamlet_jones, Mar 3, 2013
  2. hamlet_jones

hamlet_jones

Fixed the spark thing, but still misfires on cyl 3 & 4.
    ?

hamlet_jones, Mar 7, 2013
  3. hamlet_jones

Tnistu

Did you change your spark plugs and wires before you started all the checking?

Tnistu, Aug 27, 2022
Ask a Question