Steering Wheel lock up WHILE DRIVING!!! 2005 Sonata

Discussion in 'Hyundai Sonata' started by anthonyd73111, Jul 7, 2019.

1. anthonyd73111

anthonyd73111

My Son's 2005 Sonata has a intermittent problem when he slows to make a turn R or L turn the steering wheel locked up as if the key was removed. Now I questioned him under hot lights (not LEDs) and said you mean you lost power assist and it became stiff right? And after the 3rd or 4th time it happened he assured me NO it's as if you took key out and lock engaged. Then after 5-10 secs it's normal?? I have not experienced this myself so far, but notice the wheel only locks with key removed in 2 positions with front wheels about 20 degrees either L or R of straight. Is this correct? Should steering wheel only lock up in those 2 positions, I think so basically anti theft right. So we noted the steering wheel positions so when it locks up again to see if it in those lock positions. This problem scares me a little so any help is very appreciated, Google only gives you the common can't turn key problem due to steering wheel pressure, but after searching for hrs. and finding nothing I'm worried. Thx

anthonyd73111, Jul 7, 2019
  2. anthonyd73111

avisitor

That is a very dangerous situation and you need to fix it fast before an accident happens.
    First you need to find the root cause of the steering wheel locking up.
    Could be worn or flat tires?
    Could be a faulty power steering pump? (worn belt)
    Could be a faulty ignition lock?
    Could be a faulty rack and pinion?
    Or could be something else that I can not think of yet?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    avisitor, Jul 8, 2019
  3. anthonyd73111

anthonyd73111

UPDATE!!! Problem occurred and in a slow turn again as always and this time noting the steering wheel position. It was NOT constant with the 2 steering wheel lock positions as if key is out. So at least that can be temporarily ruled out that it appears NOT to be a key locking mechanism. Further belt is very new, has occurred in dry conditions, so leaning toward a PS pump or rack failure?? Any experience appreciated since we like repairing ourselves. Thx again.

anthonyd73111, Jul 8, 2019
  4. anthonyd73111

anthonyd73111

Thx for your input see my update plz

anthonyd73111, Jul 8, 2019
  5. anthonyd73111

avisitor

Have you tried jacking up the front end and turn the steering wheel to see if it will lock up again?
    Just a guess.

avisitor, Jul 11, 2019
Ask a Question