TBN after 4900 miles (oil quality)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Sonata' started by jetman1, Aug 14, 2020.

1. jetman1

jetman1

I have a 2019 Sonata. I changed my oil after 4900 miles and sent a sample to Blackstone labs. The results came back that the TBN was 1.5. When it gets down to 1, it no longer provides enough lubrication to protect your engine. The owners manual says that the oil changes should be performed every 7500 miles. There is no way that I would have still been above 1, if I had not changed the oil when I did. I advised the Hyundai dealership, what they are doing to do about, if anything, I don't know. I would advise anyone on these forums that are following the 7500 change interval to send a sample to a lab for analysis. I replace the oil with Mobil 1 synthetic 5W 20. I'll let you know the results of the next oil change.

TBN is a measure of (alkaline) additives in the oil. Higher TBN oils are able to neutralize a greater amount of acidic materials, which results in improved protection against corrosive reactions and longer oil life. TBN levels are targeted for the intended application.

jetman1, Aug 14, 2020
Ask a Question