Where to find EPA/Calif emissions sticker

Discussion in 'Hyundai Accent' started by NAFix, Aug 23, 2018.

1. NAFix

NAFix

I live in California and am interested in buying a 2010 Accent GS hatchback from a seller in Nevada. As you probably know, California is “different.” You cannot register a car from any other state unless the EPA emissions compliance sticker (which is required in all states) says that the vehicle meets U.S. EPA standards AND California emissions standards. One sticker for 49 states and one for California. I asked the seller of the Accent to check the sticker to be sure it was Calif compliant. He couldn’t find any sticker in engine compartment. Since I already have a 2009 Santa Fe, I thought if I could find it on my car, it might help him find it on the Accent. I couldn’t find it either. Not in engine compartment, glove box, sun visors, door jams, or any other compartment. Anyone have any idea where Hyundai hides them....especially on an Accent?
    Thanx

NAFix, Aug 23, 2018
  2. NAFix

avisitor

A car in the united states will be EPA compliant or California (CARB) compliant or both.
    The sticker for this is usually in or near engine bay.
    Sometimes on the hood. Sometimes on the radiator support cross member.
    Sometimes on the fire wall. Sometimes on the air filter box.
    each manufacturer has their own favorite spot.

avisitor, Aug 24, 2018
  3. NAFix

NAFix

Thanx for the input. I had already found the sticker plainly visible on the underside of the hood on our Santa Fe. I passed that info on to the seller of the Accent in Nevada so that maybe he could find his and see if it is California compliant. I think the reason I had a problem finding the plainly visible location is that I never looked at the “underside” of the hood. Everything I read on line said “under the hood or in the engine compartment,” which I thought was kinda weird, since the only thing under the hood IS the engine compartment. Sometimes I’m too literal for my own good. I only looked in the engine compartment. Only after a mechanic at a dealership a couple hours away said it could be “on the hood,” as you did, did I look there. BTW I now realize the underside of the hood is “under the hood!!”

NAFix, Aug 24, 2018
Ask a Question