windshield crack

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by sam, Dec 30, 2003.

1. sam

sam Guest

hi, recently I have noticed a hair line crack (3 inches horizontal)
    on windshield, on the lower middle part and there is no sign of any
    stone chip (crack is felt from inside and it's smooth on outer coating
    of the glass ).Hyundai dealer says it's probably a big scratch and
    impact cracks usually appear vertically on sides only. Does any one
    have an idea about it, does the warranty cover this damage or should I
    get it repaired? It's a 2003model.
    MPS

sam, Dec 30, 2003
  2. sam

24913 Guest

We had a crack appear in our 2002 Terracan. After eventually having to replace it ourselves because warranty was refused we found that it had been fitted improperly. The crack started from below the visible base of the screen then went up and across. The windscreen repairer we went to sad a fitting or spacer block had not been placed properly and caused stress on the screen and cracked it. I suggest if you are going to take it further you have an expert look at it and get a written report.

PS and original screen was almost $500, an after market screen was $200 fitted (Aus)

Cheers

Steven

24913, Jan 1, 2004
  3. sam

Nick Guest

If you are sure that no stone chip cracked the window, then I would try to find a place that will install it at the cheapest possible price. Just
    confirm with whoever you go to that the tint is the same as what you have on it now. Usually dealers will subcontract out the work to these mom and
    pop shops and will tag an additional cost to the total.

Regards,
    Nick

Nick, Jan 4, 2004
Ask a Question