2018 Elantra Whine Noise - Not Pulleys or Belts - Alternator, Transmission?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Elantra / Lantra' started by HoosierHyundais, Jan 17, 2024.

1. HoosierHyundais

HoosierHyundais

Our 2018 Elantra has a fairly loud engine area whine when starting. You can also hear it quieter during some accelerations. Here is what we have had tested / diagnosed.

• This happens regardless of warm or cold temps outside.
    • This happens even after the car has been started a few times and driven around, meaning engine isn't cold.

Yesterday I had a repair shop check the following based on other posts here. Some of the items the mechanic said weren't relevant or not relevant on this model. All pulleys spun freely though.

• idler pulley
    • tensioner pulley
    • crank and ac pulleys
    • timing belt cover
    • power steering pump, reserve tank
    • oil pump pressure regulator spring
    So in the end they believe the sound is coming from the bell housing / front pump area of the transmission. Not 100% sure though.

They DID say the alternator was testing high at 15.1 and battery was below 10.8, like at 9. I have a separate post about that here: https://www.thehyundaiforums.com/threads/2018-elantra-battery-issue-auto-shops-disagree.7857/ (In essence once show said the alternator is fine and the other said it is not. I do not know if the alternator could be involved with the whine, but they think it's coming more from the transmission area.)

So do you think this is a bad pump related to the transmission or what's my next step?

Thanks a million!

HoosierHyundais, Jan 17, 2024
Ask a Question